Tag Archives: Cannock Chase Colliery Co.

Chasewater Railway Museum – August Newsletter

Chasewater Railway Museum 

August Newsletter

Chasewater Railway Museum – A New Local Addition

Chasewater Railway Museum

A New Local Addition

A worksplate from the locally built locomotive ‘Foggo’

Foggo, 1946, from a standard gauge 0-4-2ST built at the Chasetown workshops of the Cannock Chase Colliery Co.Ltd. in 1946, using parts supplied by Beyer Peacock, together with spare parts accumulated over the years from similar locomotives already at work at the colliery.  The name derives from Mr. Foggo, the General Manager of the company at the time and the nameplate incorporates the year of build.  It became National Coal Board property on 1st January, 1947.  Transferred to Coppice Colliery in early 1954 and to Brereton Colliery later the year.  Scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young in January 1961.  Cast Brass, 21½”x 8¾”, the front repainted.

5133 Photograph Foggo 0-4-2ST Built Chasetown 1946 – taken 2-8-1942 from spares and parts supplied by Beyer Peacock Album 1

The worksplate can be seen on the side of the engine.

Chasewater Railway Museum – Nice New Acquisition

Chasewater Railway Museum 

Nice New Acquisition

This latest acquisition is a very welcome addition to the Museum’s collection of local Cannock Chase items.

Nameplate:  Foggo, 1946, from a standard gauge 0-4-2ST built at the Chasetown workshops of the Cannock Chase Colliery Co.Ltd. in 1946, using parts supplied by Beyer Peacock, together with spare parts accumulated over the years from similar locomotives already at work at the colliery.  The name derives from Mr. Foggo, the General Manager of the company at the time and the nameplate incorporates the year of build.  It became National Coal Board property on 1st January, 1947.  Transferred to Coppice Colliery in early 1954 and to Brereton Colliery later the year.  Scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young in January 1961.  Cast Brass, 21½”x 8¾”, the front repainted.

 

Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society Books

 Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society Books

No automatic alt text available.

Did you or one of your family work at one of the many Collieries in the Cannock & Rugeley area. If so why not get one of the mining books published by the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society. There are 18 books in the series, each one covering one or more of the local Collieries. A very informative collection, written by the miners, who worked at them. These are available from Chasewater Railway Museum. Perhaps an ideal Christmas present. Contact me if you need more information.

Godfrey Hucker – 07751 448523

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue – Album 1, Local Colliery Locos

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue

Album 1, Local Colliery Locos

This photograph album contains photos of locomotives used in collieries local to Cannock Chase, Cannock & Rugeley Colliery and Cannock Chase Colliery in particular.

Click here to see list of all photos – Album 1 Local Pit Locos – XL Files

The text on the pics is – Object number, description and manufacturer.

Click on a pic for a larger version and use the side arrows to move on.

 

 

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue – Cannock Chase Colliery Co. Items

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue

Cannock Chase Colliery Co. Items

Various items from the Cannock Chase Company Co.   (CCCC)

I think that it is fair to say that, if this company had not existed, neither would the Chasewater Railway Museum, certainly not as it is now.

Click on the link below to see the full list

All CCCC Items – XL Files 16-3-2018

Caption text: Object number, name, description, location in the museum.

Click on a picture to see a larger image, the click on the side arrow to move on.

 

The original ‘Alfred Paget’ – Newspaper cutting from Sue & Diana Windsor

The original ‘Alfred Paget’

Newspaper cutting from Sue & Diana Windsor

The original ‘Alfred Paget’  0-4-2ST No.204/1861, acquired new by the Cannock Chase Colliery Company, scrapped by NCB at Chasetown circa 1952.  ‘Paget’ was the family name of the Marquis of Anglesey, one of the major land-owners in the district, and Chasewater Railway has kept the name – now on a Neilson engine.

‘Alfred Paget’ – the Neilson version.- 2937-1882 0-4-0ST, 

 

 

Chasewater Railway Museum – Harry Hartill’s Country

Chasewater Railway Museum

Harry Hartill’s Country

harry-hartill

The Museum has been lucky enough to borrow, for a short time, a copy of this book by Harry Hartill.  This book has a passage of particular interest to us as it describes in some detail who drove the local engines of the Cannock Chase Colliery Company and where they travelled to around the local coalfields.  It is written in a sort of ‘chatty’ style which is very easy to read.

The Chasewater Railway Museum would dearly like a copy of this book for our own collection, so if anyone should have a copy which they would like to donate to the Museum, please get in touch.  email j.tisdale45@yahoo.com or phone 07786 323311.

Chasewater Railway Museum – Another photo on the Causeway

Chasewater Railway Museum

Another photo on the Causeway

7176.15

This time the Neilson – 2937/1882 carrying the ‘Alfred Paget ‘ nameplates –  heading a freight train  of wagons in various liveries (including rust!), with the Cannock Chase Colliery brake van – affectionally known as the ‘slum’  bringing up the rear.

CCCC Brake Van

This brake van has now fallen into major disrepair, with the chassis collapsing and breaking the sole bars.  The interior of the van still remains dry.  It has had a few coats of paint over the years, but, as the last known item of rolling stock which actually ran on the line in the mine-working years, it seems a shame that more cannot be done to restore it.

Colour photos of Cannock Chase Loco ‘Foggo’

05443 Foggo 0-4-2ST Self-Build 1946 BP Design CCC Yard

Black & White photo of ‘Foggo’ taken in the Cannock Chase colliery Co. yard at Chasetown

Foggo

‘Foggo’ was an unusual engine, 0-4-2ST being built at Chasetown in 1946 from spare parts supplied by Beyer Peacock and other spares accumulated over the years from other locos. The name came from the General Manager at the time – M.J.Foggo.BM13046EJ

BM13047EJ

These photos were taken by Bernard Mettam in winter 57/58 on a day with awful weather at Brereton.

These are the first colour photos of ‘Foggo’ that we in the Chasewater Railway Museum have ever seen, and were passed on to us, after enhancement, by Peter Stamper.  Thanks Pete.

‘Foggo’ ended her working life at Brereton Colliery, which closed in July 1960, and was scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young Co. Ltd in 1961.