Chasewater Ralway Museum – Coming Soon –
Moving the Goods – Oct 12/13 2019
The Duke of Gloucester was in his element as he took control of ‘Asbestos’ – Chasewater Railway’s flagship steam locomotive.
With a blast on the whistle the Duke shifted the regulator and the steam engine edged forward.
For the next ten minutes the Duke indulged one of his greatest passions – steam trains – oblivious to the wired-up security agent positioned half-way along the section of track.
The royal visit to Chasewater Railway was the third stop on the Duke of Gloucester’s tour of the area last Thursday (4-11-2004).
Accompanying the Duke in the engine’s cab were Driver Mark Sealey and Fireman Steve Williams.
Steve said ” He knew exactly where all the controls were, we didn’t really have to help him. I think he would have liked to have gone a bit further down the track.”
Mark added “We talked about the engine and where it had come from and he asked us about the length of the track.”
The Duke also toured the newly constructed Heritage Centre where restoration work on Chasewater’s collection of railway carriages takes place.
And while in the Centre he unveiled a plaque to commemorate the visit.
Restoration engineers Jim Twigge and Don Mitchell chatted with the Duke.
“He is the kind of person you can speak with easily,” said Jim.
Don added ” We knew he was a train enthusiast and former architect.
Architecture and railways are his two passions.”
Before leaving, the Duke took an impromptu trip on a modern engine – the Parry People Mover – and the clockwork coordination of the event suddenly seemed at risk!
Station Master Eric Balaam remarked ” The Duke said it is nice to see people restoring the carriages for future generations to appreciate.”
As the bespectacled Duke in dark grey suit and beige overcoat climbed into his Jaguar, Chasewater Railway’s general manager Steve Organ reflected on the Royal visit.
“I think it has gone really well with this our first Royal visit.
This is a very significant milestone, giving credibility to the railway and enabling members to take a pride in it.”
On Saturday August 10th 2019, local historian Gerald Reece ( now living in Devon ), celebrated his 80th birthday with a walk around Brownhills.
Along with his family and close friends, Gerald set off on the walk he called, Brownhills a walk into history, at 10.00 from the Brownhills West Station of Chasewater Railway.
After braving the atrocious weather conditions, the party returned to Chasewater, and a social get together and natter was held in the Railway Museum.
During his visit Gerald kindly donated to the museum, 2 old maps of Chasewater from the early 1800’s.
Despite the weather a good day was had by all, and Chasewater Railway Museum was pleased to help Gerald celebrate his Octogenarianism.
Photographs by David Evans & Oakparkrunner.
We are also, of course, open on Saturday 15th
These posts are taken from old publications, newssheets and magazines produced by the Railway Preservation Society (West Midlands Division). Chasewater Light Railway Society and Chasewater Light Railway and Museum.
Another couple of bits and pieces from the Railway Forum – Winter 1965. The first is a display of name and number plates, loaned by one of the members, and laid out in the Royal Saloon – which left Hednesford in 1970 for the British Railways carriage works at Derby for restoration and then on to the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley.
Midlands RPS Open Day display
An interesting display of locomotive nameplates and numbers was arranged in the Royal Saloon for inspection by visitors at the Midlands R.P.S. Open Day.
New locomotives preserved in Midlands
Members of the Midlands area, R.P.S. expect to take delivery of another locomotive later this year which has been acquired through the generosity of one of their members, Dr. P.G. Plummer, who has offered to purchase it for them.
The locomotive is a Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0ST built for the Sheepbridge Coal and Iron Company in 1895 (Works No. 431). It was transferred to its present location, Desborough Warren Quarry, Northamptonshire, in March 1951 and was due for withdrawal in July. It is believed to be the oldest Hudswell-Clarke locomotive still in working order and once carried the number 15. Now it has no number or name, although known as “Sheepbridge No.25”.
Painted in apple green it should be a valuable addition to stock already acquired, and will be of considerable use at the Chasewater branch line which has been leased by this group.
Two other locomotives have also been donated by the Whitecross Co. of Warrington. They are Peckett 0-4-0STs of 1900 and 1904 vintage. They were withdrawn from service by the Company in 1961, being replaced by two Fowler diesel locomotives. They carried names up to withdrawal, the older being “Baden Powell” and the younger “Lancet” the nameplates of the latter being transferred to the Diesel No.1, and those of the former being acquired by local enthusiasts. Only “Lancet” will be able to run again. It is hoped to exhibit “Baden Powell” statically.
The second is about new locomotives coming to Chasewater. Sadly the Hudswell Clarke, although we still have the loco, has never steamed here. The two Pecketts fared even worse. The ‘Lance’ (not Lancet) 1038/1906 was scrapped in March 1972, and another Peckett – 1823/1931 was also scrapped at the same time. The Loco ‘Baden Powell’ was in too bad a condition to be moved. The other loco was an 0-4-0F a fireless Andrew Barclay locomotive 1562/1917 – scrapped in March 1973.
The articles were writtten in 1965, the photos taken in 1969.
About 20 people met at the Station Hotel, Stafford, on Saturday 21st November 1959 for the inaugural meeting. The General Secretary opened the meeting and sketched out the reasons leading to the formation of the RPS and future plans. He explained that this was the first District to be inaugurated and though the general outline had been planned out, the detailed application of this would be the concern of the WMD committee.
Mr. D. A. Ives, who has been acting as Secretary, gave a report on progress to date. He reported that membership was over 25 and that they had received a good response from individuals contacted. The first step was to secure a small depot in a convenient locality, where relics could be stored and members work on their restoration. The ideal site would contain a certain amount of covered accommodation as well as rail space for carriages and wagons. He believed the support was there in the West Midlands, it was only a question of publicity and personal contact.
The committee to serve for the current year was then elected.
Future plans were discussed and the decision taken to launch a publicity campaign leading up to a public meeting in the New Year. The site of the public meeting was fixed as being Birmingham, but emphasis was laid on arranging future meetings in different towns to give better contact with the public and members.
Three reporters attended the meeting, leading to reports in the ‘Stafford Newsletter’ and the ‘Staffordshire Weekly Sentinel’.
The public meeting was fixed for Saturday, March 5th in the Small Theatre at the Birmingham & Midland Institute, Paradise Street, Birmingham at 2.30pm. Everyone welcome.