Tag Archives: Walsall Wood

Railway Memorabilia Display

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Aldridge Library situated in Rookery Lane Aldridge, is currently displaying an exhibition of Railway Memorabilia courtesy of Chasewater Railway Museum. The display is housed in two glass cabinets.

To compliment the cabinet display is a screen presentation of the aspects of Chasewater Railway.

The display which was organised by Susan Satterthwaite (a volunteer at Chasewater Railway) will run until the end of May. The Library is open from Tuesdays until Saturdays, (closed Mondays & Sundays).

The artifacts displayed are just a selection of the many on display in the free to enter,  Chasewater Railway Museum, which is situated at Brownhills West Station, and is open on train running days.

Why not visit and relive the past.

Chasewater Railway Volunteers’ Day

Chasewater Railway

Volunteers’ Day, Saturday 30th March 2019

For those who would like to help but are not as young as they used to be there is always the Museum, we need more volunteers too – just move occasionally and we won’t stick a label on you!

 

Chasewater Railway Museum – Short article from 1930 magazine

Chasewater Railway Museum

Short article from 1930 magazine

While perusing an old magazine, our curator cames across this article about a railwayman from Pelsall. We thought that it would be worth another airing.

Walsall.

On February 19 Ganger John Jones, Engineering Department, retired after 51 years’ service.  He commenced as tool-boy in No.3 extra gang.  After 11 years with the gang he was made sub-ganger, and three years later was promoted as ganger, which post he had filled on the Norton Branch, Pelsall, for 37 years.  He had served under 10 inspectors.

Photographer unknown

NORTON JUNCTION

 Situated roughly half way between Pelsall and Brownhills stations and originally known as Ryders Hayes this Norton Junction in South Staffordshire was by far the largest of the many that carry the name on the British rail network. It became so large because of enormous production of coal from the mines at Norton Canes and Cannock Chase. Wagons were brought down to the marshalling yard at the junction on National Coal Board lines, with coal board locomotives, to be marshalled into trains of the right length to make their journeys onward on the national rail network.

Chasewater Railway Museum – Photo of Walsall Wood Station

Chasewater Railway Museum

Photo of Walsall Wood Station

Tha latest photograph that we have come across of Walsall Wood Station.

Not sure of the date but it was before 1964 as the Walsall Wood Colliery was still working, as can be seen by the smoking chimney in the background. This closed in that year.

The line contiued through Clayhanger to Brownhills West and into the Cannock Chase Coalfield – via, these days, Chasewater Railway.

Chasewater Railway Museum – Armistice Day, 100th Anniversary

Chasewater Railway Museum 

  Remembrance Sunday

100th Anniversary of Armistice Day

The Chasewater Railway Museum is proud to have two Books of Remembrance and two Rolls of Honour to commemorate some of the Railwaymen who lost their lives in the Service of their Country.

The Books  of Remembrance are from the London & North Western Railway, and the Midland Railway.

The Rolls of Honour are from the Barry Railway and the North Staffordshire Railway.

DSCF9060

DSCF9062

1732.2

DSCF9067

DSCF9064

We salute all men and women who lost their lives in the Service of their Country.

Chasewater Railway Museum – June Newsletter

Chasewater Railway Museum

June Newsletter

Made In Staffordshire Gala – May 26th/27th/28th

Made In Staffordshire Gala

May 26th/27th/28th

 

Kerr Stuart & Co. 0-4-0 “Willy” the Well-tank (RMWeb)

Bagnall 0-4-0DH built Stafford 1961, number 3207 “Leys” (Foxfield)

 

Events News: Made In Staffordshire Gala – May 26th/27th/28th

Made in Staffordshire Gala

Our Chasewater Railway Made in Staffordshire gala May 26th/27th/28th. 10am-5pm each day.

Details of our locos appearing during the gala.over the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend “Made in Staffordshire”

Steam loco guest is Kerr Stuart & Co. 0-4-0 “Willy” the Well-tank visiting us in its centennial year having been built in Staffordshire in 1918 and Diesel guest is last but one built Bagnall 0-4-0DH built Stafford 1961, number 3207 “Leys”. Thanks to the respective owners for allowing them to visit us.

Home fleet locos representing Staffordshire are Bagnall “Dunlop No.6” and Bagnall “Kent No.2” plus Diesel E E Baguley “Bass no.5” with Bagnall “Myfanwy” availble to view nearing the completion of her restoration.

Museum, Heritage Centre, Tea Room, Model Railway, Gift shops, Bric-A-Brac and more.

Rover Ticket prices for this event are £8.95 Adult, £7.95 Concession, £4.50 Child 3-15yrs and Non-working members with valid card, 0-2yrs free. A fantastic value family ticket is £24.95 for 2 adults and up to 2 children. No passes or vouchers valid during the gala and for everyone’s safety strictly no track/shed/signal box access without permission.

For weather & travel updates why not tune into our friends at Cannock Chase Radio FM on 89.6 & 94 FM.

There are many exhibits in the Museum made and/or used in Staffordshire – pop in and see us!

Hope to see you there.

More info:   http://www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk/

Chasewater Railway’s Volunteer Day

Chasewater Railway’s Volunteer Day

 

Chasewater Railway Museum – Nice New Acquisition

Chasewater Railway Museum 

Nice New Acquisition

This latest acquisition is a very welcome addition to the Museum’s collection of local Cannock Chase items.

Nameplate:  Foggo, 1946, from a standard gauge 0-4-2ST built at the Chasetown workshops of the Cannock Chase Colliery Co.Ltd. in 1946, using parts supplied by Beyer Peacock, together with spare parts accumulated over the years from similar locomotives already at work at the colliery.  The name derives from Mr. Foggo, the General Manager of the company at the time and the nameplate incorporates the year of build.  It became National Coal Board property on 1st January, 1947.  Transferred to Coppice Colliery in early 1954 and to Brereton Colliery later the year.  Scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young in January 1961.  Cast Brass, 21½”x 8¾”, the front repainted.

 

Chasewater Railway Museum – December Newsletter

Chasewater Railway Museum 

December Newsletter