- Album 1 Local Colliery Locos
- Album 2- Local Colliery Locos
- Album 3 Local Pit Locos
- Album 8 DB Dave Borthwick Station pics
- Album 9 DB Dave Borthwick's Pics of New Station Yard, Line & Station Sites
- BCN Birmingham Canal Navigations
- Bits and Pieces
- BR British Railways Items
- Brick Collection
- Bridge Plates
- Built Works and Components
- Cambrian Railway
- Cannock & Rugeley Collieries Objects
- Cannock & Rugeley Colliery Archives
- Cannock Chase Colliery Co.
- Carriage Equipment
- Chasewater Light Railway Archives
- Chasewater Railway
- Chasewater Railway Museum Bits and Pieces
- Chasewater Railway Museum Newsletters
- Chasewater Railway Publications
- Commercial Records & Equipment
- Control & Communications
- Destination Indicators
- Early posts
- Framed Handbills
- Framed Pictures
- Framed Posters
- From the Archive
- Great Central Railway Archives
- Great Central Railway Objects
- Great Northern Railway Archives
- Great Western Railway Collection
- Hunslet Engine Co.
- Ian Allan
- Isle of Man
- Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway
- Littleton Colliery
- London & North Eastern Railway Collection
- London & North Western Railway Collection
- London Midland & Scottish Railway Collection
- Midland Railway
- Midland Railway Archives
- Museum & Artefacts
- Museum Exhibits
- National Coal Board (NCB)
- New Post
- North Eastern Railway Archives
- North Staffs Railway Archives
- Old Chasewater Railway Photographs
- Photograph Collection
- Railway Clearing House Archives
- Railway Heraldry
- Reference Library
- Rolls Of Honour
- Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway Archives
- Southern Railway
- Station Furniture
- Tools & Equipment
- Toys & Games
- Track & Track Components
- Vehicle Components
- Follow Chasewater Railway Museum on WordPress.com
Tag Archives: Chasewater Railway Museum
Chasewater Railway Museum
A new item from North of the Border
A signal lever collar from the Glasgow and South Western Railway, cast iron with a brass label, reading ‘Train Waiting’ (Sorry, not very clear in photo.)
The Glasgow & South Western Railway was a self-contained system in south-western Scotland with a total of around 325 miles of track. Its terminus was at Glasgow St. Enoch and from here in connection with the Midland railway expresses ran to London St Pancras via Carlisle, in competition with the West Coast Main Line. The G&SWR also served the important towns of Paisley, Ayr, Kilmarnock, and Dumfries. The locomotive works was at Kilmarnock but was allowed to become very run down and locomotive production ceased after the First World War. Boat trains connected with the company’s steamers at Greenock, Portpatrick and Stranraer. The G&SWR achieved surprisingly high speeds on its passenger expresses, and was remarkably innovative in its locomotive design.
The 1923 Grouping was a horrendous blow to the G&SWR, who found themselves in a subsidiary role to their arch-rival the Caledonian Railway. The MR and the G&SWR had tried to merge several times in the nineteenth century but had been told by the Government that this would be too much of a monopoly.(spellerweb.net)
A hardware example of Railwayana from a company not well represented in the Museum.
These three items are all that we have, apart from the signal collar.
Chasewater Railway Museum Bits and Pieces No.9 More from the Early Days – From 1960 April RPS Newsletter Vol 1 No.4
More from the Early Days
From 1960 April RPS Newsletter Vol 1 No.4
West Midlands District
This picture shows the old headquarters in Hednesford. The building which the carriages are partly inside is still standing, although it is bricked up now. The white buildings on the other side of the line to Rugeley was the wagon works – long gone.
Public Meeting, Saturday, March 5th 1960
Mr. G. T. Cox, WMD Chairman, opened the meeting at 3.00pm. He expressed his regret that there were not more people present, and said that possibly the unusually fine weather had diverted persons to outdoor pursuits.
Mr. Cox went on to say, “Many of us often look back to the bygone days. We younger ones can only remember the pre-nationalisation days, whilst older ones can remember quite clearly the pre-grouping companies and put down their memories in black and white.”
“The best way of showing any exhibition piece is in its natural surroundings, and this is what the RPS means by a ‘living’ museum. You will not get one by asking, but you will if you support the RPS to the best of your ability. There is little preserved in contrast to the vast scrapped during the last 50 years. It is within our reach to extend the range, if action is taken now.”
The General Secretary, D. Noel Draycott, briefly described the origins of the RPS and the district organisation which gives local groups the chance to build p local collections. The first programme for the WMD has been drawn up, covering the purchase of rolling stock and other large relics. The programme is divided into three stages, but it is not necessarily the order in which items will be purchased. The selection of relics depends on the speed with which our funds grow.
Mr. R. De Lacy-Spencer pointed out that many relics were kept by persons who did not realise their historic interest to railway enthusiasts. An example of this was the Midland Railway stationmaster’s hat which had been presented to the RPS by a lady living in Lincolnshire.
The WMD Secretary, D. A. Ives, gave an account of progress in the area. Membership was growing and a keen committee were considering more plans for the future. Members were contributing many smaller relics, and a good selection was on view. He had been corresponding with BR for some time about a possible depot site, but with no result to date.
Mr. F. J. Harvey read a branch line survey he had recently made. It was an account of the present condition of the MR branch from Aldridge to Brownhills and Chasewater. The civil engineering features appeared to be in good condition, but the permanent way was neglected towards the end of the branch and part had been lifted. At present only a section of it was used for a daily freight trip.
The meeting was wound up at 4.30pm and Mr. A. Holden from the audience proposed a vote of thanks to the speakers which was carried.
Stop Press! – Depot established in WMD
We are pleased to announce that negotiations for the establishment of a depot have reached a definite stage. The site is at Hednesford, about 11 miles from Wolverhampton, and contains 150 yards of siding, part of which is under cover. Fuller details were given to members at the visit to the Stafford/Uttoxeter branch on Sunday, March 27th. These details are not to hand at the time of writing this, and a description with information about working parties will appear in the next issue of the newsletter.
This will enable the WMD to launch an intensive campaign to purchase rolling-stock, etc., of the Cambrian, Great Western, London & North Western, Midland and North Staffordshire Railways. All persons interested in these railways are invited to send donations direct to the West Midlands Treasurer, RPS.
Chasewater Railway Museum
100th Anniversary of Armistice Day
The Chasewater Railway Museum is proud to have two Books of Remembrance and two Rolls of Honour to commemorate some of the Railwaymen who lost their lives in the Service of their Country.
The Books of Remembrance are from the London & North Western Railway, and the Midland Railway.
The Rolls of Honour are from the Barry Railway and the North Staffordshire Railway.
We salute all men and women who lost their lives in the Service of their Country.
Chasewater Railway Museum
A New Local Addition
A worksplate from the locally built locomotive ‘Foggo’
Foggo, 1946, from a standard gauge 0-4-2ST built at the Chasetown workshops of the Cannock Chase Colliery Co.Ltd. in 1946, using parts supplied by Beyer Peacock, together with spare parts accumulated over the years from similar locomotives already at work at the colliery. The name derives from Mr. Foggo, the General Manager of the company at the time and the nameplate incorporates the year of build. It became National Coal Board property on 1st January, 1947. Transferred to Coppice Colliery in early 1954 and to Brereton Colliery later the year. Scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young in January 1961. Cast Brass, 21½”x 8¾”, the front repainted.
The worksplate can be seen on the side of the engine.