Chasewater Railway Museum
Coming Soon – Sunday, Fathers’ Day,
June 16th 2019:
We are also, of course, open on Saturday 15th
We are also, of course, open on Saturday 15th
South Staffordshire Railway
Aqueduct Cannock Chase
Messrs. McClean and Stileman, C.E. ( Consulting Engineers – John Robinson McClean and Francis Cloughton Stileman) John Robinson McClean was involved with the South Staffordshire Railway and the Cannock Chase Colliery Company, and is of particular interest to Chasewater Railway and the Museum.
In 1849 he took into partnership Mr. F. C. Stileman, with whom he engaged in the construction of the South Staffordshire Railway, the Birmingham Wolverhampton and Dudley Railway, the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal reservoirs, and the South Staffordshire Water Works supplying water from Lichfield to a very extensive district.
Constructed by Messrs. Lloyds, Forsters & Co.
This Aqueduct was erected to carry the Walsall and Birmingham Canal over the Bloxwich Branch of the South Staffordshire Railway. The work had to be completed before proceeding with the railway cutting to prevent interruption with the canal traffic, and also the supply to a water wheel, situated some distance below the ground of operations, in which the canal company was interested. Considerable difficulty was experienced in carrying out the work, because of the unfavourable nature of the soil, which was loose, sandy and, to some extent, marshy; increased by the continual sinking of the banks, caused by the coal and iron pits, which undermine the whole district.
The aqueduct is carried at right angles across the railway in two spans, each 14 feet wide, by 15 feet 4 inches from the level of the rails to the bottom of the girders. The trough 20 feet 4 inches wide by 5 feet 6 inches deep.
South Staffordshire Railway
Messrs. J.McClean and Stileman C.E.
This bridge was erected for the purpose of carrying the Cannock Branch of the South Staffordshire Railway over the Wednesfield Branch of the Birmingham Canal. The peculiarity of this case consists in a better distribution of the metal in the top flange of the girders by which means the liability of that member to buckle when subjected to severe strains is in a great measure obviated.
The railway crosses the canal at a very acute angle, and to obviate as much as possible the effects of unequal deflection, each line of rail is supported by independent platforms so as to form two distinct bridges. The longitudinal or main girders are 63 feet 4 inches long, having a bearing of 6 feet at each end on the abutment, so that the span is only 51 feet 4 inches.
For those who would like to help but are not as young as they used to be there is always the Museum, we need more volunteers too – just move occasionally and we won’t stick a label on you!
This picture shows the old headquarters in Hednesford. The building which the carriages are partly inside is still standing, although it is bricked up now. The white buildings on the other side of the line to Rugeley was the wagon works – long gone.
Public Meeting, Saturday, March 5th 1960
Mr. G. T. Cox, WMD Chairman, opened the meeting at 3.00pm. He expressed his regret that there were not more people present, and said that possibly the unusually fine weather had diverted persons to outdoor pursuits.
Mr. Cox went on to say, “Many of us often look back to the bygone days. We younger ones can only remember the pre-nationalisation days, whilst older ones can remember quite clearly the pre-grouping companies and put down their memories in black and white.”
“The best way of showing any exhibition piece is in its natural surroundings, and this is what the RPS means by a ‘living’ museum. You will not get one by asking, but you will if you support the RPS to the best of your ability. There is little preserved in contrast to the vast scrapped during the last 50 years. It is within our reach to extend the range, if action is taken now.”
The General Secretary, D. Noel Draycott, briefly described the origins of the RPS and the district organisation which gives local groups the chance to build p local collections. The first programme for the WMD has been drawn up, covering the purchase of rolling stock and other large relics. The programme is divided into three stages, but it is not necessarily the order in which items will be purchased. The selection of relics depends on the speed with which our funds grow.
Mr. R. De Lacy-Spencer pointed out that many relics were kept by persons who did not realise their historic interest to railway enthusiasts. An example of this was the Midland Railway stationmaster’s hat which had been presented to the RPS by a lady living in Lincolnshire.
The WMD Secretary, D. A. Ives, gave an account of progress in the area. Membership was growing and a keen committee were considering more plans for the future. Members were contributing many smaller relics, and a good selection was on view. He had been corresponding with BR for some time about a possible depot site, but with no result to date.
Mr. F. J. Harvey read a branch line survey he had recently made. It was an account of the present condition of the MR branch from Aldridge to Brownhills and Chasewater. The civil engineering features appeared to be in good condition, but the permanent way was neglected towards the end of the branch and part had been lifted. At present only a section of it was used for a daily freight trip.
The meeting was wound up at 4.30pm and Mr. A. Holden from the audience proposed a vote of thanks to the speakers which was carried.
Stop Press! – Depot established in WMD
We are pleased to announce that negotiations for the establishment of a depot have reached a definite stage. The site is at Hednesford, about 11 miles from Wolverhampton, and contains 150 yards of siding, part of which is under cover. Fuller details were given to members at the visit to the Stafford/Uttoxeter branch on Sunday, March 27th. These details are not to hand at the time of writing this, and a description with information about working parties will appear in the next issue of the newsletter.
This will enable the WMD to launch an intensive campaign to purchase rolling-stock, etc., of the Cambrian, Great Western, London & North Western, Midland and North Staffordshire Railways. All persons interested in these railways are invited to send donations direct to the West Midlands Treasurer, RPS.
The Chasewater Railway Museum is proud to have two Books of Remembrance and two Rolls of Honour to commemorate some of the Railwaymen who lost their lives in the Service of their Country.
The Books of Remembrance are from the London & North Western Railway, and the Midland Railway.
The Rolls of Honour are from the Barry Railway and the North Staffordshire Railway.
A worksplate from the locally built locomotive ‘Foggo’
Foggo, 1946, from a standard gauge 0-4-2ST built at the Chasetown workshops of the Cannock Chase Colliery Co.Ltd. in 1946, using parts supplied by Beyer Peacock, together with spare parts accumulated over the years from similar locomotives already at work at the colliery. The name derives from Mr. Foggo, the General Manager of the company at the time and the nameplate incorporates the year of build. It became National Coal Board property on 1st January, 1947. Transferred to Coppice Colliery in early 1954 and to Brereton Colliery later the year. Scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young in January 1961. Cast Brass, 21½”x 8¾”, the front repainted.
The worksplate can be seen on the side of the engine.
Events News: Made In Staffordshire Gala – May 26th/27th/28th
Made in Staffordshire Gala
Our Chasewater Railway Made in Staffordshire gala May 26th/27th/28th. 10am-5pm each day.
Details of our locos appearing during the gala.over the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend “Made in Staffordshire”
Steam loco guest is Kerr Stuart & Co. 0-4-0 “Willy” the Well-tank visiting us in its centennial year having been built in Staffordshire in 1918 and Diesel guest is last but one built Bagnall 0-4-0DH built Stafford 1961, number 3207 “Leys”. Thanks to the respective owners for allowing them to visit us.
Home fleet locos representing Staffordshire are Bagnall “Dunlop No.6” and Bagnall “Kent No.2” plus Diesel E E Baguley “Bass no.5” with Bagnall “Myfanwy” availble to view nearing the completion of her restoration.
Museum, Heritage Centre, Tea Room, Model Railway, Gift shops, Bric-A-Brac and more.
Rover Ticket prices for this event are £8.95 Adult, £7.95 Concession, £4.50 Child 3-15yrs and Non-working members with valid card, 0-2yrs free. A fantastic value family ticket is £24.95 for 2 adults and up to 2 children. No passes or vouchers valid during the gala and for everyone’s safety strictly no track/shed/signal box access without permission.
For weather & travel updates why not tune into our friends at Cannock Chase Radio FM on 89.6 & 94 FM.
More info: http://www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk/