Category Archives: Vehicle Components

Chasewater Railway Museum – A very welcome new item.

Chasewater Railway Museum 

A very Welcome and surprising new item.

This was a surprise because, although I knew that the loco had existed, I had never even seen a photograph of it.

‘Brown’  was the fourth of five Beyer Peacock locos acquired by the Cannock Chase Colliery Company, 0-4-2ST No.794/1867, acquired new. Substantially dismantled in 1926 and some parts utilised to maintain the existing fleet.  The rest was scrapped.  John Newland Brown was Manager and Chief Engineer of the company around the late 1860s.  No-one seems to have a picture of this loco.

This item had been owned by a Cannock family with connections to the Cannock Chase Colliery Company.

The nameplate was acquired by the museum by way of the Midland Counties Railway Auctions.

If anyone should have a photograph of this locomotive, would you please let the Chasewater Railway Museum have a copy?

A New Year – New Items in the Museum

Chasewater Railway Museum

New Year – New Items

Three very nice items in the museum to start the New Year. 

They are the cabside numbers from nos. 1, 5 and 8 from local colliery locos.

Number 1 is from the Cannock & Rugeley loco – ‘Marquis’

The name originates from the first Marquis of Anglesey, a title awarded to the Earl of Uxbridge who fought along side Wellington at the Battle of Waterloo. Carried by the Lilleshall Company built 0-6-0 saddle tank new to the Cannock and Rugeley Collieries as their first loco in 1867, she or is it he lasted until cut up at the NCB Cannock Central Workshops during May 1964.

 

No.5 is from Cannock & Rugeley loco  ‘Beaudesert’

Beaudesert from the little 0-6-0 saddle tank built by Fox Walker, works number 266 of 1875 supplied new to Cannock and Rugeley Collieries as their number 5. Beaudesert was the ancestral home of the Paget family who became Earls of Uxbridge before being given the title and Estate Marquis of Anglesey. Finally cut up in 1964 the other nameplate of the loco survives and is on display in Kidderminster Railway Museum.

No.8 is from Cannock & Rugeley loco ‘Harrison’

No.8 Harrison 0-6-0 T  Built by the Yorkshire Engine Company, 186/1872 as a 2-4-0 T, rebuilt to 0-6-0T 1916.  Bought from B.P.Blockley of Bloxwich in 1905.  It had originally been Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway ‘Hope’ and later No.1 on the East and West Junction Railway.  Sold to Stanton Ironworks, Stanton, Notts., 1950.  Since scrapped.

Chasewater Railway Museum – Latest Loan Item

Chasewater Railway Museum

Latest Loan Item

 

The latest locomotive nameplate on display in the Chasewater Railway Museum, and on loan from the Industrial Railway Society is from a Kitson-built 0-6-0ST, Holwell No.1, works number 1836, actually built in 1872 although the worksplate it carried read 1879.

New to Holwell Ironworks, Leicestershire, originally the name was painted on the loco’s hump-backed saddle tank, but a rebuild at the works eventually gave her cast brass nameplates.

Transfer to the parent company’s ironstone quarry at Buckminster, Lincolnshire came in 1898 where she worked for many years, finally meeting her demise in 1952.

(Info. compiled by Barry Bull.)

Photo from Peter Stamper (IRS)

Save

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue – Vehicle Components

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue 

Vehicle Components

Quite a large number of items in this category – all sorts of stuff from many different manufacturers

Click on the link below to see the full list

Vehicle Components – XL Files

Caption text – object number, name, description, maker, location.

Click on a photo to get a larger view, then the side arrow to move on.

Save

Chasewater Railway Museum – Beaudesert Nameplate

Chasewater Railway Museum 

Beaudesert Nameplate

Beaudesert

The third nameplate, following those of ‘McClean’ and ‘Marquis’,  is that of Beaudesert from the little 0-6-0 saddle tank built by Fox Walker, works number 266 of 1875 supplied new to Cannock and Rugeley Collieries as their number 5. Beaudesert was the ancestral home of the Paget family who became Earls of Uxbridge before being given the title and Estate Marquis of Anglesey. Finally cut up in 1964 the other nameplate of the loco survives and is on display in Kidderminster Railway Museum.

05029 No.5 Beaudesert 0-6-0ST Fox Walker 266-1875 C & R‘Beaudesert’  0-6-0ST  Built by Fox Walker  No. 266 – 1875

No.5 at Cannock & Rugeley Colliery

 

 

Fowler Works Plate Donation.

On Sunday March 17th, Mr and Mrs Fitton visited the Museum to Donate the original works plate for the Fowler locomotive resident at Chasewater.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The locomotive, works No 4100013, was supplied new by Fowler’s from Leeds to Garringtons of Bromsgrove in 1948, where it worked shunting wagons from the factory, down to the goods yard at Bromsgrove Station. In March 1981 it moved to the Redditch Railway Society for preservation. The Society lost the use of the land in 1994, and the loco found a new home at Chasewater on April 23rd 1994.  Redditch Railway Society was disbanded in June 1996. Mr and Mrs Fitton were re-united with the Locomotive on Sunday before they left Chasewater.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA