Brand new and posed here for its ‘Official’ photograph at Shelton Steelworks, Stoke-on-Trent. From the Basil Jeuda Collection IRS. Supplied by Godfrey Hucker, Chasewater Raiway Museum.
A recent invitation to Shugborough Hall to view various Staffordshire Museum Services items in store has resulted in several items finding their way to Chasewater, either on loan or as outright gifts.
From a locomotive enthusiast point of view, the star would be the nameplate ‘Glenalmond’. The locomotive was an 0-4-0ST with 14”x 22” outside cylinders and 3’ 5” wheels.
One of just four locos steam built by and for service at Shelton Iron & Steel Co., Stoke-on-Trent and new in 1912. The name is taken from the Scottish seat of Lord Faringdon, a Managing Director of the Company.
Lord Faringdon was a one-time Chairman of the Great Central Railway who also named one of their 4-6-0s ’Glenalmond’.
The Shelton ‘Glenalmond’ affectionately known as ‘Gleny’ was built to an Andrew Barclay design with a boiler supplied by Bagnalls Castle Engine Works, Stafford.
The loco lasted in service almost 60 years, being unused from early 1970 and sadly cut up in 1972.
Our thanks go to Chris Copp, Chasewater Railway Museum’s Mentor, for arranging the loan of the nameplate. (Compiled by Barry Bull)