Merry Christmas Everyone And a Happy New Year
Posted in August 2019 – still a lot of catching up to do!
From The ‘Mercian’ November 1964, 3.2
Due to the Editor Mr. David Bullock having other heavy commitments he resigned with Mr. M. D. Willis taking over.
The first annual Dinner and Social Evening was announced, to be held at the Eaton Lodge Hotel (demolished about 2006), tickets 12/6d each (62½p) on Monday 30th November 1964.
It is now some considerable time since my last report appeared in these pages and the financial situation has been through many changes.
At the present moment, I am pleased to be able to report that we have the healthiest bank balance there has been to date. This does not mean, however, that we can afford to relax since much of our money is already committed to paying for such items as the lease for the Chasewater branch, outstanding loans and the E1 0-6-0tank locomotive. Incidentally, over £200 is still needed to save this engine from the scrapyard. The deadline is January, so the matter is URGENT.
A few weeks ago we held our AGM at which it was unanimously agreed that the subscription rates be increased from 21/- (£1.05) to 25/- (£1.25) for ordinary members and from 5/- (25p) to 10/- (50p) for student members. I would like to state now, that this was done with some reluctance but with every good cause as many members are aware.
F.J.Harvey. Hon. Treasurer.
We are not responsible
One may have read in the Railway press that the ‘Railway Preservation Society’ is to attempt to purchase a 30 mile stretch of line between Uttoxeter and Buxton. This is entirely due to a mis-use of the Society’s name.
The Society which appears to be responsible for this irresponsible scheme is the Derbyshire Railway Society, who used our name, and this month, November, has changed it to the ‘National Railway Preservation Society’. We deplore such use of our Society’s name, or any name which might be remotely confused with ours.
Has this Society yet looked at current branch line prices? A line of this size would cost at least £100,000. How could such a line be purchased, and if by some miracle it was, how could any Society afford to maintain it, yet alone run their own trains over it?
Railway enthusiasm in this country does not justify such a hair-raising scheme, as that Society will find out – to their cost!!!
First in a Line?
On June 6th, British Railways held an auction at Stoke-on-Trent. What was for sale? The mourning remnants of stations in North Staffs. And South Cheshire, which were closed under Dr. Richard Beeching’s economisation programme.
A rare sight the auction room was! Scores of platform seats of all types, lined up in two rows to seat their likely buyers. Station nameboards of all shapes and sizes positioned around the room, intermingled with various types of Railway notices.
The bidding was unexpectedly fierce, two cast iron notices, which the present Hon. Ed. Attempted to purchase for 2/6d (12½p) almost reached £5, and four well-rotted ‘GENTLEMEN’ notices reached the ludicrous price of 50 shillings (£2.50).
As always the RPS was in the bidding! The West Midlands District bought two North Staffordshire Railway Clocks averaging about £9.00 each, and a Midland Railway Lamp Standard, among various other things. They were joined by Mr. Ken Vincent, Secretary of Dowty RPS and Mr. R. W. F. Smallman, of Yieldingtree Railway Museum Trust fame; their purchases including an NSR platform seat and a GWR short grandfather clock.
British Railways made over £1000 from the so-called ‘rubbish’, the bulk of which would normally provide heat for a cold workman on an icy winter’s day.
Another auction of this type is to be held at Derby on November 7th, and it looks very much as though fantastic prices will be reached yet again.
The latest relics to arrive at Hednesford are as follows:-
This unique example of Midland Railway Regal coachbuilding has been purchased by the RPS (West Midlands District) from British Railways at a cost of £300. This was only possible with a loan of £240 from a generous member.
The loan is being paid back at the rate of £10 per month to this fine member, who wished to remain anonymous. His name was released at the AGM but to save further embarrassment, we will not mention it in these columns, but let it be ‘broadcast’ by word of mouth.Furnishings inside the Midland Royal Saloon
These photos came to the Chasewater Railway Museum by way of the GCR Auctions. They were taken between c1960 – 1980.
Click on a pic to see a larger version and on the side arrows to move along. The description in on the larger pic.
From the RPS Newsletter Oct 1960 Vol 2 No.1
From the General Secretary’s Page
Following a proposal from the Middleton RPS that they would form part of the national organisation envisaged by the RPS, a plan was drawn up outlining an organisation of autonomous groups, each covering a heavily populated area and taking over all responsibility for voluntary preservation in their area. The national level of the organisation would transact such matters as were more effectively handled on a country-wide basis and would provide a common pool of information for all groups to draw on. This was expected to be the most important subject at the AGM on October 22nd 1960.
The District Report
The next item to be moved into Hednesford depot will be a LNWR travelling post office van built in 1909. This carriage keeps most of its original fittings, though the ‘pick-up and drop’ apparatus has been removed at some time and a plain panel used to cover the resulting gap. This is not only a fine relic in itself, but will give covered space for display of historic relics. The British Transport Commission preserves a replica of the original TPO on the London and Birmingham Railway which was built by LMS. Now we have preserved an example of the type used during the early years of the 20th century.D. Ives Collection
Requirements of the post office were standard for all types of TPO and the appearance of these vehicles only varied with the roof contour and panelling details of the companies who operated them. A very high proportion of pre-grouping types have remained in service until recently when British Railways put in hand the building of complete new trains. An interesting survival was reported a few years ago in the model railway press. This was a six-wheeler TPO of the GNWR stripped and used as a tool van on a break-down train.
Progress on Great Eastern Coach
West Midland DistrictRay Hallworth
Despite rather thin attendance at working parties, progress of restoration work on the recently acquired Great Eastern coach has been very satisfactory. It is hoped that the interior will eventually form the first railway museum in the West Midland District. A temporary exhibition will be staged there for our annual meeting on October 22nd.
Inside walls have been scraped and have received a generous coat of priming paint. Most of the woodwork has been repaired. The small brake compartment at the end of the coach has been converted into a tool store.
Improvements are slowly but surely being made to the exterior, one side and end facing the main Hednesford – Cannock line having been completely stripped of paint. Over half of this has been primed. Quite o lot of the panelling had to be replaced, particularly at one of the corners where to our dismay, we found that not only had the panels gone rotten, but also the framework. Fortunately this has now been repaired and new panels fitted.
Work has not yet begun on restoring the Maryport & Carlisle coach, and it may have to be next spring before a start is made. Continual appeals are still being made for more members to come and lend a hand, especially the more local people. Working parties are held every Saturday from 3.00pm to 6.00pm and on Sundays from 2.30pm to 6.00pm.
Visit to Oakamoor Station
The Stationmaster, Mr. Lister, took members on a conducted tour of the station buildings and adjacent copper works sidings. Much interest was shown in an ex-NSR battery electric locomotive, a relic of prime importance, being built at Stoke works in 1916. Still in excellent working condition and used for shunting work in the siding, Mr. Lister demonstrated the vehicle by giving members a short trip up and down.Rail37.com Oakamoor Station – same view as previous.
Returning to the station, members were shown several items of interest including an old print of Oakamoor station in North Stafford days, and two lovely old NS office chairs with the Staffordshire Knot carved on each back-rest. Each member of the party was presented with a sealing wax impression of the NS Railway Oakamoor seal.Above: The delightful crossing keeper’s house at Oakamoor, just south of Oakamoor Tunnel, which can be seen in the background. This building looks as if it is another of Pugin’s designs, but we have been unable to confirm this. Oakamoor station was situated a short distance behind the photographer and was the next stop north of Alton. 10 November 2007. (Bob Prigg)
Above: This is Alton station in Staffordshire, which was renamed Alton Towers in 1954 – only to close ten years later. (Surely the line might still be busy with a modern theme park en route?) The station was designed by Augustus Pugin (1812-1852), an English architect of the Gothic revival who is better known for his church designs and his work on the interior of the Houses of Parliament. However, Pugin did accept some more modest commissions, including this one for the North Staffordshire Railway, and the railway cottages at Windermere, Cumbria. Alton station is now owned by The Landmark Trust and can be rented for self-catering holidays. The trackbed is used as a railway path linking Oakamoor to the north and Denstone to the south. 10 November 2007. (Bob Prigg)
From RPS Newsletter July 1960 Vol 2 No. 1
From the General Secretary’s Page
More Activity Wanted
You will read in the West Midland notes the present state of our first scheme to be launched. From the enthusiasm of one member, David Ives, and a group of his friends and acquaintances has grown the reality of rolling stock being restored on a length of line which has been offered as temporary accommodation. There is no reason why similar successes could not be recorded from most areas of dense population. We have enough members in the South-East, North-West and North-East to make a start.
Well done the West Midland District – later to become Chasewater Railway.
West Midland District
|Date: 23 April 1957Description: The Stephenson Locomotive Society (Midland Area) ran the last train on the Uttoxeter to Stafford line on 1957. The locomotive is seen here arriving at Stowe-by-Chartley Station with 200 railway enthusiasts on board.
The line was opened in December 1867 by the Stafford-Uttoxeter Railway Company. Nineteen years later the company folded and the line was sold to the Great Northern Company.
Passenger traffic was withdrawn in 1939, but the line was kept open for milk traffic. The high cost of maintenance proved too expensive and the line closed in 1951, having never shown a profit. It was broken up in 1959.
|Date: 1920 – 1930 (c.)
Description: Stafford Common Railway Station was built in 1867, to serve the Stafford-Uttoxeter line.
The station closed to passengers in 1939, but continued to carry freight. It closed completely in the 1970s.
Staffordshire Past Track – Pic & Info
16 members of the West Midland District walked along the Great Northern Railway disused branch line from Chartley to Stafford on Sunday, 27th March. Members assembled at Stafford Station and were taken by car to Chartley. Our President, Mr. C. E. Ives, although not being able to take part in the walk, very kindly took members to the starting point. A considerable number of photographs were taken en route for record purposes, as demolition of this line had already begun. Very keen interest was shown in station buildings at Chartley, Ingestre and Weston and Salt. Hopton cutting was duly noted as a great work of civil engineering, a tribute to the railway navvies of the 1860s. The walk finished at Stafford Common Station (part of which is still worked by BR) where a welcome cup of tea brewed by Mr. A. Holden was much appreciated by all. A special note must be made concerning one of our very enthusiastic members, Vice President Mr. J. Strong of Hereford, who stayed overnight in Stafford in order to take part.
Stowe and Chartley Station looking neglected. Note the two lines merging in the distance and the crossover in the foreground. Photo Hixon Local History Society.
|.Unlike The building on the left was not demolished and was still there in 1990 and 1991 when we walked there. It now has been completely restored and has been moved to the Amerton Railway nearby.|
|Jan en Fons
Aug 7, 2008 9:52 PM
The West Midland District Depot has been kindly offered to us by our President Mr. C. E. Ives as temporary accommodation until a branch line has been acquired. It is situated at Penkridge Engineering Co., Chase Works, Rugeley Road, Hednesford, Staffs. This can be reached from Cannock along the Rugeley Road and from Rugeley along the Hednesford Road and is adjacent to Messrs. Bestmore Drop Forgings Ltd.
The depot consists of approx. 150 yards of siding with access to BR and NCB sidings. Good covered space covers approx 50 yards of the track. Members have already been advised of times of working parties, etc. and will continue to get these each month through the summer. Negotiations are going ahead for the acquisition of two six-wheeled coaches, a full 3rd Maryport & Carlisle Railway and a full brake Great Eastern Railway. It is hoped to have these under our covered space by the time this Newsletter reaches you.
More hands wanted at Hednesford
On June 3rd the Honorary Yardmaster, Albert Holden, gave a talk on the practical side of track maintenance to a group of members. He expressed disappointment at the turnout of members and pointed out that work was being carried out by a small proportion of members. If they did not get the support of more members they could become discouraged and work cease altogether.
It is the declared intention of the WMD to lease or purchase a line and run its own services. But this needs a reservoir of skilled members and a strong organisation. This depot gives us a chance to introduce all members to the technical side of maintenance of rolling stock and permanent way. If full use is made of it, we shall have a reliable band of voluntary workers who can restore a line to serviceable condition in the shortest possible time.
The future of railway preservation in the West Midlands is in your hands. Let’s all pull together and show the rest of the RPS how to run a branch line!
The first two coaches were moved in Hednesford depot at 9.45 am on Wednesday, 22nd June 1960. How about coming along and helping with their restoration?
These posts are taken from old publications, newssheets and magazines produced by the Railway Preservation Society (West Midlands Division). Chasewater Light Railway Society and Chasewater Light Railway and Museum.
This post is taken from the earliest newsletter found so far amongst the ‘Duplicate Magazine ‘ file.
I reproduced the first part just to show that our aims haven’t really changed in the last 50 years.
Taken from the Railway Preservation Society Newsletter, Feb 1961
What is our eventual aim?
It is obvious that we want to run a railway. But what sort of railway is this to be? What picture do we want to give to the general public? We could push together a train, grab a piece of line and say this is a preserved railway. But will it mean anything to the general public?
Each district will, inevitably, form its own collection of smaller relics which eventually we hope to show to the public in exchange for money. As a railway enthusiast, a mass of cast iron plates, old faded photographs, tattered maps, dog-eared tickets and general bric-a-brac fascinates me and I can spend hours contemplating such a collection, but I would strongly suspect this would leave the general public with a feeling of mental indigestion and a fixed idea that railway enthusiasts are really mad.
Any preserved railway depends on the general public for the main part of its traffic. We must study their interests and make sure that we attract them back and their friends to which they have passed a recommendation. It must not be an overcrowded museum, but a ‘vintage railway’ — a living example of how the railways were run, laid out so the general public can see it tick. The steam engine is to us a balanced collection of boiler, firebox, cylinders, pistons, crossheads, etc. But to the ordinary man-in-the-street it is largely a mystery. Our exhibits must be self-explanatory. We must try to explain why the railways grew into such a complex system of competitive lines with so many odd connections.
I am not suggesting that we forget the railway enthusiast. I am asking that we consider the picture we are presenting to the general public. These points are not immediately applicable, but we should give consideration to them and encourage the artists and architects amongst us to sketch out their ideas on this basis.
Arrival at Hednesford of our T.P.O
January 11th (1960) was a red letter day for members of the West Midlands District when a 27 ton 1909 Royal Mail coach, purchased by us for £200, rolled into our Hednesford depot.
Sold by British Railways the 50 foot bogey coach, complete with letter pigeon holes and half-penny stamp post-box – as good as new – it has joined our other two museum passenger coaches, an 1895 Great Eastern Railway brake vehicle and an 1875 Maryport & Carlisle Railway coach.
The mail coach travelled up from Verney, near Wolverton in Buckinghamshire, and celebrated its historic run by charging up the batteries to give full lighting inside. It was shunted into the depot sidings by an NCB tank engine.
Unlike the other two vehicles, the T.P.O. is too high to be placed under cover in our vehicle shed, but members are planning to lower the track to enable it to enter.
Final Passenger Train on the Churnet Valley Line
Twenty R.P.S. members were among the passengers to travel on the last train from Macclesfield to Uttoxeter by the Churnet Valley line of the ex-North Staffordshire Railway on November 5th (1960).
Some of our members had departed from Macclesfield early in the afternoon in order to break the journey at Oakamoor and again make the acquaintance of the station master, Mr. Lister.
Macclesfield was reached early enough for members to have a look round the town before returning to catch the last train. Several relics were noted at Macclesfield (Hibel Road) station, including a NSR/LNWR boundary post.
The train left on time at 8.35pm behind Stanier 2-6-4T No. 42670. The coaches were quite full, two of the enthusiastic passengers ringing handbells loudly for most of the journey.
A few people had gathered at nearly every station to watch the train depart, and at 9.48pm the train arrived at its final destination, Uttoxeter. It marked the last moments of a regular passenger service on the Churnet Valley line for 110 years.
The present Churnet Valley Railway is a volunteer-run organisation. The operating company, the Churnet Valley Railway (1992) plc, is supported by the North Staffordshire Railway Co (1978) Ltd., a Charitable Trust.
Activities recorded on film
BBC television news cameras have filmed activities at our Hednesford depot on two occasions in recent weeks. Both items were shown on ‘Midland News’ and have done much to foster interest in the Society.
On the occasion of the first visit, members were shown at work on the restoration of the Great Eastern Railway coach. Several of our relics, housed in the coach, were also shown.
The cameras were again at the depot on January 11th 1960 to record the arrival of the T.P.O. Several newspaper representatives also visited us for this event, a very full report of the work, profusely illustrated with photographs, appearing in the ‘Cannock Courier’
The Coalport Branch Line
Notes by D. Noel Draycott
This was one of three lines under consideration when looking for a permanent home for the railway.
On Sunday, October 23rd 1960, a small party consisting of David Ives, James Slater, T. Jones, Frank Harvey and myself visited the Coalport to Hadley line in North Shropshire. Built by the London & North Western Railway, it runs from the very attractive Vale of Severn across high land and through an early centre of the iron and steel industry to a junction on the Wellington to Stafford line.
The branch had a terminus at Coalport Station which stands on a long shelf, part cut out and part built up on the steep bank of the Severn. The station buildings comprise a booking office, general and ladies waiting rooms, backing on to the station master’s house. The signal box was demolished and a ground frame installed shortly before services were withdrawn in 1952. The goods shed has also been demolished, but the three short sidings remain in the yard.
Further along the shelf past the station, there is a carriage shed sufficient for four bogie carriages, and an engine shed for two locomotives. These buildings are in fair condition, and the engine shed contains a large workshop space as well as a pit. All these buildings back on to the hillside, and on the opposite side there is a pleasant stretch of wooded land before it falls steeply away to the river which forms the boundary of the railway property.
The line rises steeply from Coalport Station with attractive views across and up the Severn Valley before it turns away to cross pleasant rolling countryside to the small town of Madeley. Here the station building is used as an office by an engineering firm, but the yard of some half dozen sidings is practically disused.
The line then continues to Dawley and Stirchley Station where a total of some 15 wagons of coal showed that an active coal merchant used the yard. As dusk was falling, the tour of inspection finished at this point. All the members of the party were impressed by the potentialities of the line for day trippers.
Before we left the area, we were fortunate to meet a resident interested in the line who presented the R.P.S. with smaller relics. These included an LMS inkwell, labels and official books. We were very pleased to receive these on behalf of the W.M.D.’s collection of local relics.