- Chasewater Railway Museum – 2004 Royal Visit
- Chasewater Railway Museum – More from the Archives, Jan 1964 Bits & Pieces 22
- Chasewater Railway Museum – August Bank Holiday Monday 26 August 2019 – Pirates & Princesses
- Chasewater Railway Museum – Taken from our Archived Publications – Bits & Pieces No.21
- Wickham Trolleys.
- Album 1 Local Colliery Locos
- Album 2- Local Colliery Locos
- Album 3 Local Pit Locos
- Album 8 DB Dave Borthwick Station pics
- Album 9 DB Dave Borthwick's Pics of New Station Yard, Line & Station Sites
- Arthur Deakin's Photo Collection
- BCN Birmingham Canal Navigations
- Bits and Pieces
- BR British Railways Items
- Brick Collection
- Bridge Plates
- Built Works and Components
- Cambrian Railway
- Cannock & Rugeley Collieries Objects
- Cannock & Rugeley Colliery Archives
- Cannock Chase Colliery Co.
- Carriage Equipment
- Chasewater Light Railway Archives
- Chasewater Railway
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Chasewater Railway Museum Bits and Pieces
- Chasewater Railway Museum Newsletters
- Chasewater Railway Publications
- Commercial Records & Equipment
- Control & Communications
- Destination Indicators
- Early posts
- Framed Handbills
- Framed Pictures
- Framed Posters
- From the Archive
- Great Central Railway Archives
- Great Central Railway Objects
- Great Northern Railway Archives
- Great Western Railway Collection
- Hunslet Engine Co.
- Ian Allan
- Isle of Man
- Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway
- Littleton Colliery
- London & North Eastern Railway Collection
- London & North Western Railway Collection
- London Midland & Scottish Railway Collection
- Midland Railway
- Midland Railway Archives
- Museum & Artefacts
- Museum Exhibits
- National Coal Board (NCB)
- New Post
- News 2
- North Eastern Railway Archives
- North Staffs Railway Archives
- Old Chasewater Railway Photographs
- Photograph Collection
- Railway Clearing House Archives
- Railway Heraldry
- Reference Library
- Rolls Of Honour
- Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway Archives
- Southern Railway
- Station Furniture
- Tools & Equipment
- Toys & Games
- Track & Track Components
- Vehicle Components
- Follow Chasewater Railway Museum on WordPress.com
Tag Archives: Cannock & Rugeley Colliery
Some More Old Stuff
Chasewater Railway Museum
Bits and Pieces No.3
These posts are taken from old publications, newssheets and magazines produced by the Railway Preservation Society (West Midlands Division). Chasewater Light Railway Society and Chasewater Light Railway and Museum.
This post is taken from the earliest newsletter found so far amongst the ‘Duplicate Magazine ‘ file.
I reproduced the first part just to show that our aims haven’t really changed in the last 50 years.
Taken from the Railway Preservation Society Newsletter, Feb 1961
What is our eventual aim?
It is obvious that we want to run a railway. But what sort of railway is this to be? What picture do we want to give to the general public? We could push together a train, grab a piece of line and say this is a preserved railway. But will it mean anything to the general public?
Each district will, inevitably, form its own collection of smaller relics which eventually we hope to show to the public in exchange for money. As a railway enthusiast, a mass of cast iron plates, old faded photographs, tattered maps, dog-eared tickets and general bric-a-brac fascinates me and I can spend hours contemplating such a collection, but I would strongly suspect this would leave the general public with a feeling of mental indigestion and a fixed idea that railway enthusiasts are really mad.
Any preserved railway depends on the general public for the main part of its traffic. We must study their interests and make sure that we attract them back and their friends to which they have passed a recommendation. It must not be an overcrowded museum, but a ‘vintage railway’ — a living example of how the railways were run, laid out so the general public can see it tick. The steam engine is to us a balanced collection of boiler, firebox, cylinders, pistons, crossheads, etc. But to the ordinary man-in-the-street it is largely a mystery. Our exhibits must be self-explanatory. We must try to explain why the railways grew into such a complex system of competitive lines with so many odd connections.
I am not suggesting that we forget the railway enthusiast. I am asking that we consider the picture we are presenting to the general public. These points are not immediately applicable, but we should give consideration to them and encourage the artists and architects amongst us to sketch out their ideas on this basis.
Arrival at Hednesford of our T.P.O
January 11th (1960) was a red letter day for members of the West Midlands District when a 27 ton 1909 Royal Mail coach, purchased by us for £200, rolled into our Hednesford depot.
Sold by British Railways the 50 foot bogey coach, complete with letter pigeon holes and half-penny stamp post-box – as good as new – it has joined our other two museum passenger coaches, an 1895 Great Eastern Railway brake vehicle and an 1875 Maryport & Carlisle Railway coach.
The mail coach travelled up from Verney, near Wolverton in Buckinghamshire, and celebrated its historic run by charging up the batteries to give full lighting inside. It was shunted into the depot sidings by an NCB tank engine.
Unlike the other two vehicles, the T.P.O. is too high to be placed under cover in our vehicle shed, but members are planning to lower the track to enable it to enter.
Final Passenger Train on the Churnet Valley Line
Twenty R.P.S. members were among the passengers to travel on the last train from Macclesfield to Uttoxeter by the Churnet Valley line of the ex-North Staffordshire Railway on November 5th (1960).
Some of our members had departed from Macclesfield early in the afternoon in order to break the journey at Oakamoor and again make the acquaintance of the station master, Mr. Lister.
Macclesfield was reached early enough for members to have a look round the town before returning to catch the last train. Several relics were noted at Macclesfield (Hibel Road) station, including a NSR/LNWR boundary post.
The train left on time at 8.35pm behind Stanier 2-6-4T No. 42670. The coaches were quite full, two of the enthusiastic passengers ringing handbells loudly for most of the journey.
A few people had gathered at nearly every station to watch the train depart, and at 9.48pm the train arrived at its final destination, Uttoxeter. It marked the last moments of a regular passenger service on the Churnet Valley line for 110 years.
The present Churnet Valley Railway is a volunteer-run organisation. The operating company, the Churnet Valley Railway (1992) plc, is supported by the North Staffordshire Railway Co (1978) Ltd., a Charitable Trust.
Activities recorded on film
BBC television news cameras have filmed activities at our Hednesford depot on two occasions in recent weeks. Both items were shown on ‘Midland News’ and have done much to foster interest in the Society.
On the occasion of the first visit, members were shown at work on the restoration of the Great Eastern Railway coach. Several of our relics, housed in the coach, were also shown.
The cameras were again at the depot on January 11th 1960 to record the arrival of the T.P.O. Several newspaper representatives also visited us for this event, a very full report of the work, profusely illustrated with photographs, appearing in the ‘Cannock Courier’
The Coalport Branch Line
Notes by D. Noel Draycott
This was one of three lines under consideration when looking for a permanent home for the railway.
On Sunday, October 23rd 1960, a small party consisting of David Ives, James Slater, T. Jones, Frank Harvey and myself visited the Coalport to Hadley line in North Shropshire. Built by the London & North Western Railway, it runs from the very attractive Vale of Severn across high land and through an early centre of the iron and steel industry to a junction on the Wellington to Stafford line.
The branch had a terminus at Coalport Station which stands on a long shelf, part cut out and part built up on the steep bank of the Severn. The station buildings comprise a booking office, general and ladies waiting rooms, backing on to the station master’s house. The signal box was demolished and a ground frame installed shortly before services were withdrawn in 1952. The goods shed has also been demolished, but the three short sidings remain in the yard.
Further along the shelf past the station, there is a carriage shed sufficient for four bogie carriages, and an engine shed for two locomotives. These buildings are in fair condition, and the engine shed contains a large workshop space as well as a pit. All these buildings back on to the hillside, and on the opposite side there is a pleasant stretch of wooded land before it falls steeply away to the river which forms the boundary of the railway property.
The line rises steeply from Coalport Station with attractive views across and up the Severn Valley before it turns away to cross pleasant rolling countryside to the small town of Madeley. Here the station building is used as an office by an engineering firm, but the yard of some half dozen sidings is practically disused.
The line then continues to Dawley and Stirchley Station where a total of some 15 wagons of coal showed that an active coal merchant used the yard. As dusk was falling, the tour of inspection finished at this point. All the members of the party were impressed by the potentialities of the line for day trippers.
Before we left the area, we were fortunate to meet a resident interested in the line who presented the R.P.S. with smaller relics. These included an LMS inkwell, labels and official books. We were very pleased to receive these on behalf of the W.M.D.’s collection of local relics.
Another new addition to the collection,
Coat of Arms of the
Maryport & Carlisle Railway
Chasewater Railway has a 6-wheeled coach which belonged to the Maryport and Carlisle Railway, before being used as part of the Paddy Train at Cannock and Rugeley Colliery Pit at Cannock Wood. The Coat of Arms is a long sought-after object for the Museum.
There were 27 subsidiary companies in the group of railways which made up the LMS, but only a handful of them owned locomotives and rolling stock.
The oldest was the Maryport & Carlisle, which was incorporated as long ago as 1837. It was opened in instalments and completed throughout on 10th February 1845, eventually owning nearly 43 route miles of line. It enjoyed an enviable dividend record, which rose to a peak of 13% in 1873, and it was one of the most prosperous of all British railways over a long period of years. It contributed 33 locomotives, 71 coaching vehicles and 1,404 freight vehicles to the LMS.
Two early types of transfer for the decoration of the coaching stock, which was given a varnished teak external finish at the time, have been traced. One was a conventional script monogram. The other consisted of the initials ‘MCR’ on a red field surrounded by an Oxford blue garter with the usual gilt edging, ornamentation and legend bearing the full title. It measures 9¼ in wide X 11¼ in high over black shading.
A livery of green with white upper panels was adopted in 1905 for the passenger train vehicles, which blended pleasantly with the green of the locomotives. Five years later Tearnes produced for display on both an armorial device which shared with that of the Central London the distinction of embodying neither name nor motto.
The transfer measures 10¼in wide X 16¾in high and is simple and appropriate. On an ornamental shield Maryport (top left) and Carlisle (bottom right) are quartered with the arms of J.P. Senhouse of Netherall (top right), represented by the popinjay, and those of Sir Wilfred Lawson (bottom left). Senhouse and Lawson were the first and fourth chairmen the company had during its eighty-five years of life.
Uniform buttons carried the same device.
Railway Preservation Society (WM Div), later Chasewater Railway, Rolling Stock at Cannock & Rugeley Colliery
Railway Preservation Society (West Midlands Division), later
Chasewater Railway, Rolling Stock at Cannock & Rugeley Colliery
This photo was given to the Museum by Rob Cadman
RPS, Chasewater Railway, Rolling Stock at Cannock & Rugeley Colliery – Photo – Our thanks to Rob Cadman
A very interesting photograph from c May 1970, Railway Preservation Society (West Midlands Division), later Chasewater Light Railway, prior to removal from its original home in Hednesford to its new home at Chasewater.
During the spring and summer of 1970 the stock was moved to the yard of Cannock Wood colliery by NCB locos for ease of loading for the final move by road to Chasewater. The two bogie coaches were moved by Wrekin Roadways at no cost to the Society. Other items were delivered to Chasewater by the NCB, the only charge being for the move of loco ‘Cannock Wood’.
The vehicles in the photo are: a 7-plank coal wagon, the E1 loco ‘Cannock Wood’ (now on the Isle of Wight), the Midland Railway Royal Saloon, built 1910. This was loaned to Derby Corporation for the embryonic Midland Railway Project. It was later exchanged for the ex-Walsall Gas Works Sentinel, some equipment and cash. This vehicle is now at the Midland Railway – Butterley. The other steam loco is ‘Hem Heath No.1’, a Bagnall 0-6-0ST 3077 of 1955, ex Silverdale, which actually worked at Cannock Wood. Between the left-hand window of Cannock Wood and the edge of the photo our Cadbury Van can be seen in the distance.
Chasewater Railway Museum
New Year – New Items
Three very nice items in the museum to start the New Year.
They are the cabside numbers from nos. 1, 5 and 8 from local colliery locos.
Number 1 is from the Cannock & Rugeley loco – ‘Marquis’
The name originates from the first Marquis of Anglesey, a title awarded to the Earl of Uxbridge who fought along side Wellington at the Battle of Waterloo. Carried by the Lilleshall Company built 0-6-0 saddle tank new to the Cannock and Rugeley Collieries as their first loco in 1867, she or is it he lasted until cut up at the NCB Cannock Central Workshops during May 1964.
No.5 is from Cannock & Rugeley loco ‘Beaudesert’
Beaudesert from the little 0-6-0 saddle tank built by Fox Walker, works number 266 of 1875 supplied new to Cannock and Rugeley Collieries as their number 5. Beaudesert was the ancestral home of the Paget family who became Earls of Uxbridge before being given the title and Estate Marquis of Anglesey. Finally cut up in 1964 the other nameplate of the loco survives and is on display in Kidderminster Railway Museum.
No.8 is from Cannock & Rugeley loco ‘Harrison’
No.8 Harrison 0-6-0 T Built by the Yorkshire Engine Company, 186/1872 as a 2-4-0 T, rebuilt to 0-6-0T 1916. Bought from B.P.Blockley of Bloxwich in 1905. It had originally been Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway ‘Hope’ and later No.1 on the East and West Junction Railway. Sold to Stanton Ironworks, Stanton, Notts., 1950. Since scrapped.
Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue
Album 1, Local Colliery Locos
This photograph album contains photos of locomotives used in collieries local to Cannock Chase, Cannock & Rugeley Colliery and Cannock Chase Colliery in particular.
The text on the pics is – Object number, description and manufacturer.
Click on a pic for a larger version and use the side arrows to move on.
Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue
Cannock & Rugeley Colliery Archives
A few items of paperwork from one of the local collieries.
Click on the link below to see the full list
Caption text: Object number, name, description, location in the museum.
Click on a picture to see a larger image, the click on the side arrow to move on.
Chasewater Railway Museum
An Addition to our collection of Armbands
The later years of the 19th century saw increasing standardization on the railways, not least in the armbands worn by three types of railway worker – pilotmen, flagmen and lookout men. The one worn by pilotmen was issued by the signal department and was made of red cloth with white stitched letters, and was secured by leather or elastic straps.
The armbands for flagmen and lookout men were made of enamelled steel plate, cut into an oval and shaped to fit the arm. A pair of slots was cut into the plate, through which a pair of leather straps, with buckles, was attached. Issued by the permanent way department, these enamel armbands were finished in white with red lettering.
A pilotman was a signal department employee whose job was to ride on the locomotive acting as a kind of human staff or token if the signalling on a single line failed, or if there was an accident or obstruction which closed one of the lines of a double track. No train could proceed without him in such an emergency, so that the possibility of a head-on collision was avoided.
The lookout man was quite simply that. His job was to keep a sharp lookout when a permanent way gang was working on the track, and to give a warning for it to stand clear as soon as he saw an approaching train.
The flagman was another permanent way ganger, who used green, yellow or red flags to communicate with signalmen or other permanent way staff who were out of audible range.All three posts were – and still are – crucial to the safety of both passengers and railway employees, and armbands were issued to emphasize this fact and to avoid misunderstandings. A modern variety, coloured pale blue with white letters, was used on British Rail.
This armband is still my favourite. A brass Cannock & Rugeley Colliery Main Line Pilot Armband, dug up in a field by a farmer while ploughing some years ago – considerably battered and bent over double!
Chasewater Railway Museum
Some Midland Railway mineral invoices
Some of these passed through the site of the Chasewater Railway’s Brownhills West Station, and others started at Walsall Wood.
(Click to enlarge)
The Midland Railway Walsall Wood Extension Railway
In 1880 the Midland Railway gained permission to build their long-awaited foothold into the Cannock Chase coalfield. The Walsall Wood Extension Railway would enable them to link their line from Aldridge with the Cannock Chase & Wolverhampton Railway near Chasewater.
The line opened in 1882 to bring coal out of the pits, but two years later, was also opened to passenger traffic as far as the Brownhills Midland Railway Station, between the Chester Road and the A5. The passenger service was not a great success and was closed in 1930.
The Midland Railway continued as a mineral only line until September 1960 when, following the demise of the coalfield, it was closed.
The Brownhills West Station and the first half-mile or so of the track of the Chasewater Railway is on the former Midland Railway line.