Tag Archives: National Coal Board (NCB)

Chasewater Railway Museum – November 2018 Newsletter

Chasewater Railway Museum 

November 2018 Newsletter

 

Another new addition to the collection – Coat of Arms, Maryort & Carlisle Railway

Another new addition to the collection,

Coat of Arms of the

Maryport & Carlisle Railway

Chasewater Railway has a 6-wheeled coach which belonged to the Maryport and Carlisle Railway, before being used as part of the Paddy Train at Cannock and Rugeley Colliery Pit at Cannock Wood.  The Coat of Arms is a long sought-after object for the Museum.

There were 27 subsidiary companies in the group of railways which made up the LMS, but only a handful of them owned locomotives and rolling stock.

The oldest was the Maryport & Carlisle, which was incorporated as long ago as 1837.  It was opened in instalments and completed throughout on 10th February 1845, eventually owning nearly 43 route miles of line.  It enjoyed an enviable dividend record, which rose to a peak of 13% in 1873, and it was one of the most prosperous of all British railways over a long period of years.  It contributed 33 locomotives, 71 coaching vehicles and 1,404 freight vehicles to the LMS.

Two early types of transfer for the decoration of the coaching stock, which was given a varnished teak external finish at the time, have been traced.  One was a conventional script monogram.  The other consisted of the initials ‘MCR’ on a red field surrounded by an Oxford blue garter with the usual gilt edging, ornamentation and legend bearing the full title.   It measures 9¼ in wide X 11¼ in high over black shading.

A livery of green with white upper panels was adopted in 1905 for the passenger train vehicles, which blended pleasantly with the green of the locomotives.  Five years later Tearnes produced for display on both an armorial device which shared with that of the Central London the distinction of embodying neither name nor motto.

The transfer measures 10¼in wide X 16¾in high and is simple and appropriate.  On an ornamental shield Maryport (top left) and Carlisle (bottom right) are quartered with the arms of J.P. Senhouse of Netherall (top right), represented by the popinjay, and those of Sir Wilfred Lawson (bottom left).  Senhouse and Lawson were the first and fourth chairmen the company had during its eighty-five years of life.

Uniform buttons carried the same device.

Chasewater Railway Museum – Acquisition from the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society

Chasewater Railway Museum

Acquisition from the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society

This is the latest, and probably the last, book to be published by the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society.

The Cannock Chase Coalfield has been covered by the series of books written by various authors over the past few years.  They are all on sale in the Chasewater Railway Museum, which is open on train running days.

Mick Drury, who wrote this book, and others in the series, starting with the Conduit and Littleton Collieries, followed by William Harrison Company Ltd., The Lesser Known Coalmines of the Cannock Chase Coalfield, Cannock Old Coppice Colliery (Hawkins Colliery) and, with the late Jack Sunley and Maurice Davies, Education, Training and Rescue in the Cannock Chase Coalfield.

The Cannock Chase Coalfield was fully covered by this series of books from the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society and this left Mick, who was instrumental in the formation of the Society and, for a time, Chairman, with the completion of this book ‘Boots All My Life’.

All of the books are available in the Chasewater Railway Museum (‘Boots All My Life’ – £14.00) or by using the link below.

The book is priced: £14.00 + p&p.

And is available by contacting Alan Dean on:

westcannock@talktalk.net or enquiries@ccmhs.co.uk.

Chasewater Railway Museum – Nice New Acquisition

Chasewater Railway Museum 

Nice New Acquisition

This latest acquisition is a very welcome addition to the Museum’s collection of local Cannock Chase items.

Nameplate:  Foggo, 1946, from a standard gauge 0-4-2ST built at the Chasetown workshops of the Cannock Chase Colliery Co.Ltd. in 1946, using parts supplied by Beyer Peacock, together with spare parts accumulated over the years from similar locomotives already at work at the colliery.  The name derives from Mr. Foggo, the General Manager of the company at the time and the nameplate incorporates the year of build.  It became National Coal Board property on 1st January, 1947.  Transferred to Coppice Colliery in early 1954 and to Brereton Colliery later the year.  Scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young in January 1961.  Cast Brass, 21½”x 8¾”, the front repainted.

 

Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society Books

 Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society Books

No automatic alt text available.

Did you or one of your family work at one of the many Collieries in the Cannock & Rugeley area. If so why not get one of the mining books published by the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society. There are 18 books in the series, each one covering one or more of the local Collieries. A very informative collection, written by the miners, who worked at them. These are available from Chasewater Railway Museum. Perhaps an ideal Christmas present. Contact me if you need more information.

Godfrey Hucker – 07751 448523

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue – Album 2, more local pit locomotives

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue 

Album 2, more local pit locomotives

This album contains more photographs of locomotives used in Cannock Chase Collieries.

Click on the link below to see the full list

 Album 2 Local Pit Locos- XL Files

The text on the pics is – Object number, description and manufacturer.

Click on a pic for a larger version and use the side arrows to move on.

 

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue – National Coal Board (NCB) Items

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue 

National Coal Board (NCB) Items

Quite a few NCB-related items, if there had been no coal there would be no Chasewater Railway.

Click on the link below to see the full list

All NCB Items – XL Files  12-4-2018

Caption text: Object number, name, description, location in the museum.

Click on a picture to see a larger image, the click on the side arrow to move on.

 

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue – Littleton Colliery Items

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue

Littleton Colliery Items

Sadly, not too many items from one of our local collieries in our collection.

chasewaterstuff@gmail.com

Click on the link below to see the full list

All Littleton Colliery Items – XL Files 27-3-2018

Caption text: Object number, name, description, location in the museum.

Click on a picture to see a larger image, the click on the side arrow to move on.

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue – Publications

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue 

Publications

This category does not include Chasewater Railway magazines, they are in the ‘CLR Archives’ category, to be published later.

Publications – XL Files

Caption text – Object number, name, description, maker, location.

Click on a picture to see a larger version

 

Chasewater Railway Museum – March Newsletter

Chasewater Railway Museum 

March Newsletter

Our latest newsletter and the last one before trains start running.

15-march-newsletter