Tag Archives: Foggo

Chasewater Railway Museum – A New Local Addition

Chasewater Railway Museum

A New Local Addition

A worksplate from the locally built locomotive ‘Foggo’

Foggo, 1946, from a standard gauge 0-4-2ST built at the Chasetown workshops of the Cannock Chase Colliery Co.Ltd. in 1946, using parts supplied by Beyer Peacock, together with spare parts accumulated over the years from similar locomotives already at work at the colliery.  The name derives from Mr. Foggo, the General Manager of the company at the time and the nameplate incorporates the year of build.  It became National Coal Board property on 1st January, 1947.  Transferred to Coppice Colliery in early 1954 and to Brereton Colliery later the year.  Scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young in January 1961.  Cast Brass, 21½”x 8¾”, the front repainted.

5133 Photograph Foggo 0-4-2ST Built Chasetown 1946 – taken 2-8-1942 from spares and parts supplied by Beyer Peacock Album 1

The worksplate can be seen on the side of the engine.

Chasewater Railway Museum – Nice New Acquisition

Chasewater Railway Museum 

Nice New Acquisition

This latest acquisition is a very welcome addition to the Museum’s collection of local Cannock Chase items.

Nameplate:  Foggo, 1946, from a standard gauge 0-4-2ST built at the Chasetown workshops of the Cannock Chase Colliery Co.Ltd. in 1946, using parts supplied by Beyer Peacock, together with spare parts accumulated over the years from similar locomotives already at work at the colliery.  The name derives from Mr. Foggo, the General Manager of the company at the time and the nameplate incorporates the year of build.  It became National Coal Board property on 1st January, 1947.  Transferred to Coppice Colliery in early 1954 and to Brereton Colliery later the year.  Scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young in January 1961.  Cast Brass, 21½”x 8¾”, the front repainted.

 

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue – Cannock Chase Colliery Co. Items

Chasewater Railway Museum Catalogue

Cannock Chase Colliery Co. Items

Various items from the Cannock Chase Company Co.   (CCCC)

I think that it is fair to say that, if this company had not existed, neither would the Chasewater Railway Museum, certainly not as it is now.

Click on the link below to see the full list

All CCCC Items – XL Files 16-3-2018

Caption text: Object number, name, description, location in the museum.

Click on a picture to see a larger image, the click on the side arrow to move on.

 

Colour photos of Cannock Chase Loco ‘Foggo’

05443 Foggo 0-4-2ST Self-Build 1946 BP Design CCC Yard

Black & White photo of ‘Foggo’ taken in the Cannock Chase colliery Co. yard at Chasetown

Foggo

‘Foggo’ was an unusual engine, 0-4-2ST being built at Chasetown in 1946 from spare parts supplied by Beyer Peacock and other spares accumulated over the years from other locos. The name came from the General Manager at the time – M.J.Foggo.BM13046EJ

BM13047EJ

These photos were taken by Bernard Mettam in winter 57/58 on a day with awful weather at Brereton.

These are the first colour photos of ‘Foggo’ that we in the Chasewater Railway Museum have ever seen, and were passed on to us, after enhancement, by Peter Stamper.  Thanks Pete.

‘Foggo’ ended her working life at Brereton Colliery, which closed in July 1960, and was scrapped by W.H.Arnott Young Co. Ltd in 1961.