Chasewater Railway Museum
New Year – New Items
Three very nice items in the museum to start the New Year.
They are the cabside numbers from nos. 1, 5 and 8 from local colliery locos.
Number 1 is from the Cannock & Rugeley loco – ‘Marquis’
The name originates from the first Marquis of Anglesey, a title awarded to the Earl of Uxbridge who fought along side Wellington at the Battle of Waterloo. Carried by the Lilleshall Company built 0-6-0 saddle tank new to the Cannock and Rugeley Collieries as their first loco in 1867, she or is it he lasted until cut up at the NCB Cannock Central Workshops during May 1964.
No.5 is from Cannock & Rugeley loco ‘Beaudesert’
Beaudesert from the little 0-6-0 saddle tank built by Fox Walker, works number 266 of 1875 supplied new to Cannock and Rugeley Collieries as their number 5. Beaudesert was the ancestral home of the Paget family who became Earls of Uxbridge before being given the title and Estate Marquis of Anglesey. Finally cut up in 1964 the other nameplate of the loco survives and is on display in Kidderminster Railway Museum.
No.8 is from Cannock & Rugeley loco ‘Harrison’
No.8 Harrison 0-6-0 T Built by the Yorkshire Engine Company, 186/1872 as a 2-4-0 T, rebuilt to 0-6-0T 1916. Bought from B.P.Blockley of Bloxwich in 1905. It had originally been Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway ‘Hope’ and later No.1 on the East and West Junction Railway. Sold to Stanton Ironworks, Stanton, Notts., 1950. Since scrapped.