More from the early days
From RPS Newsletter July 1960 Vol 2 No. 1
From the General Secretary’s Page
More Activity Wanted
You will read in the West Midland notes the present state of our first scheme to be launched. From the enthusiasm of one member, David Ives, and a group of his friends and acquaintances has grown the reality of rolling stock being restored on a length of line which has been offered as temporary accommodation. There is no reason why similar successes could not be recorded from most areas of dense population. We have enough members in the South-East, North-West and North-East to make a start.
Well done the West Midland District – later to become Chasewater Railway.
West Midland District
Stafford – Uttoxeter Line. Great Northern Railway
|Date: 23 April 1957Description: The Stephenson Locomotive Society (Midland Area) ran the last train on the Uttoxeter to Stafford line on 1957. The locomotive is seen here arriving at Stowe-by-Chartley Station with 200 railway enthusiasts on board.
The line was opened in December 1867 by the Stafford-Uttoxeter Railway Company. Nineteen years later the company folded and the line was sold to the Great Northern Company.
Passenger traffic was withdrawn in 1939, but the line was kept open for milk traffic. The high cost of maintenance proved too expensive and the line closed in 1951, having never shown a profit. It was broken up in 1959.
This was one of the lines under consideration as a running line for the WMD.
|Date: 1920 – 1930 (c.)
Description: Stafford Common Railway Station was built in 1867, to serve the Stafford-Uttoxeter line.
The station closed to passengers in 1939, but continued to carry freight. It closed completely in the 1970s.
Staffordshire Past Track – Pic & Info
16 members of the West Midland District walked along the Great Northern Railway disused branch line from Chartley to Stafford on Sunday, 27th March. Members assembled at Stafford Station and were taken by car to Chartley. Our President, Mr. C. E. Ives, although not being able to take part in the walk, very kindly took members to the starting point. A considerable number of photographs were taken en route for record purposes, as demolition of this line had already begun. Very keen interest was shown in station buildings at Chartley, Ingestre and Weston and Salt. Hopton cutting was duly noted as a great work of civil engineering, a tribute to the railway navvies of the 1860s. The walk finished at Stafford Common Station (part of which is still worked by BR) where a welcome cup of tea brewed by Mr. A. Holden was much appreciated by all. A special note must be made concerning one of our very enthusiastic members, Vice President Mr. J. Strong of Hereford, who stayed overnight in Stafford in order to take part.
Stowe and Chartley Station looking neglected. Note the two lines merging in the distance and the crossover in the foreground. Photo Hixon Local History Society.
|.Unlike The building on the left was not demolished and was still there in 1990 and 1991 when we walked there. It now has been completely restored and has been moved to the Amerton Railway nearby.|
|Jan en Fons
Aug 7, 2008 9:52 PM
The West Midland District Depot has been kindly offered to us by our President Mr. C. E. Ives as temporary accommodation until a branch line has been acquired. It is situated at Penkridge Engineering Co., Chase Works, Rugeley Road, Hednesford, Staffs. This can be reached from Cannock along the Rugeley Road and from Rugeley along the Hednesford Road and is adjacent to Messrs. Bestmore Drop Forgings Ltd.
The depot consists of approx. 150 yards of siding with access to BR and NCB sidings. Good covered space covers approx 50 yards of the track. Members have already been advised of times of working parties, etc. and will continue to get these each month through the summer. Negotiations are going ahead for the acquisition of two six-wheeled coaches, a full 3rd Maryport & Carlisle Railway and a full brake Great Eastern Railway. It is hoped to have these under our covered space by the time this Newsletter reaches you.
More hands wanted at Hednesford
On June 3rd the Honorary Yardmaster, Albert Holden, gave a talk on the practical side of track maintenance to a group of members. He expressed disappointment at the turnout of members and pointed out that work was being carried out by a small proportion of members. If they did not get the support of more members they could become discouraged and work cease altogether.
It is the declared intention of the WMD to lease or purchase a line and run its own services. But this needs a reservoir of skilled members and a strong organisation. This depot gives us a chance to introduce all members to the technical side of maintenance of rolling stock and permanent way. If full use is made of it, we shall have a reliable band of voluntary workers who can restore a line to serviceable condition in the shortest possible time.
The future of railway preservation in the West Midlands is in your hands. Let’s all pull together and show the rest of the RPS how to run a branch line!
The first two coaches were moved in Hednesford depot at 9.45 am on Wednesday, 22nd June 1960. How about coming along and helping with their restoration?