This is the list of winners in the 2015 Chasewater Railway Museum Christmas Raffle
Another recent addition to Chasewater Railway Museum, following the local Colliery connection with the Railway, is an old Labour Certificate, which as been framed. This certificate was donated to the Museum by Godfrey Hucker, one of the Museum volunteers. The certificate was issued to his father, also named Godfrey in November 1917, by Staffordshire County Council Education Committee, allowing him to leave school at the age of 13, and commence working at the Grove Colliery in Great Wyrley. The Grove Colliery ceased to mine coal in 1930, following an explosion which killed 14 miners. Following the disaster (a report of this can be found on Brownhills Bob’s Blog) the Grove then used their surface equipment to wash, screen & distribute coal from the adjacent colliery, Wyrley No 3 known as the Sinking. Godfrey worked at the Grove until closure in the 1960’s.
Posted in Museum Exhibits
Tagged Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Burntwood, Cannock, Cannock Chase, Chasewater Railway Museum, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Grove colliery, Hazel Slade, Heath Hayes, Hednesford, Labour Certificate, Lichfield, Norton Canes, Pelsall, Staffordshire, Walsall, Walsall Wood, Wolverhampton
The latest addition to be installed on the platform at Brownhills West Station is a bench in memory of Roger Shenton.
Roger worked as a volunteer at Chasewater until his sudden death in December 2012. This bench stands as a tribute to the many hours he gave to the Railway over the years.
Rest in peace Roger and Thank you.
Posted in News
Tagged Aldridge, Bench, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Burntwood, Cannock, Chasewater Railway, Chasewater Railway Museum, Lichfield, Norton Canes, Pelsall, Photographer, Roger Shenton, Walsall, Walsall Wood, Wolverhampton
A framed picture of a local Colliery, measuring 10 inches x 8 inches has been donated to the Railway Museum by Vicky Walker of Great Wyrley.
First thoughts were, that it was Jerome’s Colliery of Norton Canes. Further investigation however proved that it was in fact, Norton Cannock Colliery No 2, known locally as The Fair Oak.
This was situated to the North West of the junction of the A34 and Long Lane between Bloxwich and Great Wyrley.
A mobile home park now occupies the original site of the Colliery.
This Colliery was one of two owned by The Norton Cannock Colliery Company, and a total of 3 shafts were sunk to a depth of 190 yards (174 metres). The Colliery owned a Manning Wardle 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotive similar to the one in the photograph, to haul the coal to the exchange sidings of the South Staffs Line Cannock Branch of the LNWR railway.
The Colliery which employed 405 men underground, & 113 surface workers over both sites, closed in May 1910, as being unprofitable. The Colliery details have been taken from the book entitled The Lesser Known Coal Mines of the Cannock Chase Coalfield, by Mick Drury. This book is one of the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society’s set of mining history books, which are on sale in Chasewater Railway Museum.
Photograph by Chasewaterstuff.
John Dunn, a gentleman from the Walsall area, has donated to the Museum, his collection of model buses and commercial vehicles.
The collection of around 40 vehicles, which are are all boxed and certified, will be displayed in the museum, a few at a time on a rotation basis.
One of the local buses is a Wolverhampton Corporation Transport, Guy Arab of around the 1940’s.
The Arab was produced by Guy Motors of Wolverhampton, who manufactured Cars, Lorries, and PSV vehicles at Fallings Park from 1914, until their closure in 1982.
Another local bus is a West Bromwich C0rporation Transport, Daimler CW of around the same era.
Daimler buses, with their distinctive design of a fluted top radiator, were built at Radford in Coventry, and merged with Leyland in 1968.
In 1973 the Coventry factory closed, and all bus manufacture moved to the Leyland works in Preston.
One of the museum’s exhibits is the works plate from The Colonel Locomotive.
The Colonel was supplied new in 1914 to the local Wyrley Grove Colliery. and was named after Colonel William Harrison, who was the colliery chairman. The 0-6-0 saddle tank loco was manufactured by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds and given the works No of 1073.
Coal production at the Grove ceased following the 1930 underground explosion, which killed 14 miners. However the coal mined at the sister colliery, Harrisons No 3, known locally as the Sinking, was transported in colliery mine cars along a narrow gauge cable hauled tramway, to the Grove’s washing and screening plant.
The coal was then despatched from the Grove via canal narrow boats, and by rail.
The Colonel and its sister loco, the 1895 0-6-0 Bristol built Peckett, No 3,
were kept busy taking wagons to & from the exchange sidings on the link down to Norton Junction Marshalling yard in Pelsall.
The Colonel was transferred to Granville Colliery in November 1963, and was scrapped in 1979 when Granville closed.
With my father and both my grandfathers working at the Grove I did manage a ride on the Colonel’s footplate.
One of the Museum exhibits is an old Railway Station waiting room bench.
Having seen heavy use over the many years of its life, the fabric covering, was badly worn, exposing the horsehair filling.
Using the money generated from the ” bench fund” table situated outside the museum room, the bench has been recovered and re sprung.
Photo’s by Chasewater Stuff & Oakparkrunner.
An excellent job was carried out by Steve Wade, a local Upholsterer, who has a workshop at the rear of 59 High Street Walsall Wood WS9 9LR.
Steve can be contacted on 07903337000, or at Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org, and he will be pleased to quote for any upholstery work. Details and photo’s of Steve’s work can be found on his website http://www.stevewade.biz/
Posted in Museum Exhibits
Tagged Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Burntwood, Chasewater Railway Museum, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Heath Hayes, Hednesford, Lichfield, Norton Canes, Pelsall, Station Waiting Room Furniture, Walsall, Walsall Wood, Wolverhampton
The Museum of Cannock Chase, which is based at the old Valley Colliery in Hednesford, is redesigning the coal mining display. This means that a life sized fibreglass model of a pit pony will be surplus to requirements.
An article was posted on their web site asking if any one could find the pony a new home. Chasewater Museum’s registrar John, spotted this, and promptly put in an offer for it. John’s bid was successful, beating many more offers from other interested parties, and Chasewater Museum is now the proud owner of this splendid animal.
Our thanks go to Nick Bullock for the collection from Hednesford and delivery to its new home at Chasewater.
The pony soon made itself at home in the Heritage Centre at Brownhills West.
All photo’s courtesy of John chasewaterstuff.
Posted in Museum Exhibits
Tagged Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Burntwood, Cannock, Chasewater Railway Museum, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Hazel Slade, Heath Hayes, Hednesford, Lichfield, Museum of Cannock Chase, Norton Canes, Pelsall, Staffordshire, Walsall, Walsall Wood, Wolverhampton
On Thursday July 11th 30 members of the Transport Trust Group visited Chasewater Railway. Organised by Chasewater Museum’s curator Mr Barry Bull, the party arrived at Chasewater at 1-45 on a beautifully restored single decker Midland red bus from Aston Manor Bus Museum based at Shenstone Drive in Aldridge.
First port of call was an excellent carvery lunch provided by the Railway’s resident chef Mr Craig Wilkinson.
A return journey then along the two mile long line to Chasetown Church Street, behind the North British diesel locomotive No D2911.
On their return the members had a tour of the Heritage shed and Museum before boarding the bus back to Aldridge.