Tag Archives: Wagon Label

Chasewater Railway Museum – ‘Things that got away!’

Chasewater Railway Museum

Things that got away!

From time to time various people advise us of the latest offerings on ebay, mostly these are of little interest and on occasions of dubious authenticity, for example, the Hawthorn Leslie worksplate 2780 of 1909. Very odd this one as our loco ‘Asbestos’, resident at Chasewater since 1968, came with worksplates affixed, which are still retained on the loco.

Littleton Wagon Plate
However, we were alerted recently to an enamel wagon plate – ‘When empty return to Littleton Collieries Sidings Penkridge. LM&S Rly’. This would have been a nice addition to our collection of local artefacts, but, despite the best efforts of Rob Cadman, acting on our behalf, we were unlucky with a bidder being found at £150 but prepared to go much higher.
Following this disappointment we then heard of a member who spotted a rather nice Midland Railway, Walsall Wood to Walsall third class return ticket available on ebay. Tickets to or from Walsall Wood and Brownhills (Midland) are pretty scarce and this example realised £102, which I suspect rather surprised our man who had expressed interest in it on our behalf.

Our thanks go to Rob Cadman, Simon Swain and Kevin Pettifor for trying their best for the museum.

Walsall Wood opened 1st July 1884 and closed 31st March 1930, along with Brownhills (Midland), the latter having been renamed Brownhills Watling Street 2nd June 1924. So two items which we would have liked ‘got away’ – but we have photos.

Walsall to Walsall Wood ticket

Chasewater Railway Museum – More from Granville

Chasewater Railway Museum

More from Granville

The first one is a wagon label from the Burton-on-Trent Glanville Colliery, dated 1913.  It has been in our collection for some years now and has always been discoloured – and obviously kept on a spike in an office somewhere!

1435

The other one is a colliery token from Granville Colliery  in Shropshire.  Granville Pit closed in 1979, bringing to an end more than 700 years of coal mining in the area which became Telford New Town in the 1960s.  This was purchased by the Museum in 2012.

Granvill Salop 545