Tag Archives: Wolverhampton

Chasewater Railway Museum – ‘New to us’ local wagon labels.

Chasewater Railway Museum 

‘New to us’ local wagon labels.

This first label is, in our opinion, the star of this collection.  It dates from 1876 and covers a wagon of coal from Cannock Chase Colliery to Lyons Hall in Herefordshire.  Addressed to Mr. Saxty, the Station Master at the time and with the old spelling of double ‘g’ in waggon.  My thanks to Chris H.E.Smith of the Lyonshall.net website. (Well worth a visit)

Wagon Label Cannock Chase Coll to Lyons Hall 1876

The other Cannock Chase Colliery label is the later style from the early 1900s. There are others from Brereton Collieries, Cannock & Leacroft Colliery, Coppice Colliery, Conduit Colliery, Littleton Colliery and West Cannock Colliery.

Chasewater Railway Museum – A handbill in our collection!

A handbill in our collection!

Just a thought…

How long before we see this again!

8539 Leis v Villa

We hope not too long – together with the Wolves and Blues (How about Coventry and Walsall as well??)  Could be fun in the Championship next season, with Burton as well.  Don’t think much of Walsall’s chances now, 0-3 this afternoon!

Chasewater Railway Museum – ‘Museums at Night’ event – at the Museum of Cannock Chase

Chasewater Railway Museum

‘Museums at Night’ event

At the Museum of Cannock Chase

Next Friday. 13th May 2016, 5.00pm – 8.00pm

May No.1

Chasewater Railway Museum – March 2016 Newsletter

Chasewater Railway Museum 

March 2016 Newsletter

March 2016 2

Chasewater Railway Museum – Accreditation 2016

Chasewater Railway Museum 

Accreditation 2016

Accreditation 2016

The Chasewater Railway Museum has maintained its status, first achieved in 2011, as a fully Accredited Museum, as awarded by Arts Council England.

The award of Full Accreditation is valid for approximately three years, at which point the museum will be invited to provide a return to demonstrate continuing compliance with the Accreditation Standard.

Thanks and congratulations to all who have helped maintain this standard during the past few years, and the museum looks forward to this support continuing in the future.

Our thanks also to our visitors – our efforts would be rather pointless without you.

Chasewater Railway Museum – Help needed.

Chasewater Railway Museum

Help needed.

Projector

Recently donated to the museum by Alan Sherry was a collection of cine-films and colour slides. We have had one of the films copied onto DVD by Final Cut Video Editing and Photos, based in Burntwood. This film was taken in the mid-1960s depicts trains, boats and planes in and around the Isle of Man.
We could do with a cheap or preferably free 8mm projector (any make) in order to check the films before spending further money on copying what may turn out to be film of the family holiday variety.

If you can help, please contact Barry on:  07748130215

Chasewater Railway Museum – Another visiting Loco – Port Talbot 0-6-0ST No. 26 (GWR 813)

Chasewater Railway Museum 

Another visiting Loco

Port Talbot 0-6-0ST No. 26 (GWR 813)

003_IMG_0211

Photo – Elja Trum

This locomotive is a six-coupled 0-6-0ST Saddle Tank No.813 under the Great Western Railway numbering system but was built for the Port Talbot Railway & Docks in 1901. The Port Talbot Railway & Docks Company was formed in 1894 to work the docks of the town. The Railway opened several branches especially those to the Llynfi & Garw valleys. This attracted a heavy coal traffic, which was dealt with at Duffryn Yard.
In 1901 the PTR ordered a number of small 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotives (six in all) from Hudswell Clark of Leeds & was given the works No. 555/01 & on delivery it became PTR No.26. In this guise it was put to work in Duffryn Yard & served in this capacity until 1908 when the PTR was absorbed into the GWR system. However, no changes were made to the loco at this time until the grouping which brought changes to No.26 in that it was first Westernised & given the GWR number 813.
The GWR decided later however that the older absorbed locos should be sold off out of service & No.813 fund itself on that list in 1934. It was sold to a Backworth Colliery, Northumberland where it was again renumbered as No.12 & remained there for the next 33 years. The No.12 did not stay for long though, as when the colliery was absorbed in to the National Coal Board when it was formed in 1947 it became NCB No.11
In 1950 it was fitted with a new boiler & firebox. However the original GWR boiler fittings were retained. As steam working was nearly at an end hastened by the closing of collieries, older locos were withdrawn in the late 1950’s & early 60’s with 813 lasting until the summer of 1967.
The loco was duly discovered by Mr. Paddy Goss & attempts to preserve it were ultimately successful for he was able, after a great struggle to raise funds as is ever the case in the preservation scene, to purchase the loco. The loco arrived at the Severn Valley Railway in November 1967 with sufficient finance available to pay for the removal charges. Since then much loving care & a great deal of money has been spent keeping 813 in its present condition.