Chasewater Railway Museum
A Very Interesting Label
This label came to the Museum from Robert Ives, the son of David Ives, a founder member of the Railway Preservation Society (West Midland Branch).
No.1054, which started life in preservation in a temporary home at the Railway Preservation Society, West Midlands branch at Hednesford, Staffs. This was, of course, the forerunner of today’s Chasewater Light Railway and Museum.
The LNWR Coal Tank was completed at the LNWR’s Crewe Works in 1888. Withdrawn from service in 1939 the engine was returned to traffic following the outbreak of the Second World War, and was the last example of the 300-strong class, finally withdrawn in 1959.
The engine was saved by a group of enthusiasts headed by J M Dunn, former shedmaster of Bangor MPD, and was the first steam locomotive to be preserved in the UK by public subscription.
The engine was subsequently presented to the National Trust for display at Penrhyn Castle in North Wales.
Since 1973, the engine has been in the care of the Bahamas Locomotive Society, based at their Ingrow Loco Museum on the 5JR Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in Yorkshire.
For further information, go to: