Chasewater Railway Museum – Short article from 1930 magazine

Chasewater Railway Museum

Short article from 1930 magazine

While perusing an old magazine, our curator cames across this article about a railwayman from Pelsall. We thought that it would be worth another airing.

Walsall.

On February 19 Ganger John Jones, Engineering Department, retired after 51 years’ service.  He commenced as tool-boy in No.3 extra gang.  After 11 years with the gang he was made sub-ganger, and three years later was promoted as ganger, which post he had filled on the Norton Branch, Pelsall, for 37 years.  He had served under 10 inspectors.

Photographer unknown

NORTON JUNCTION

 Situated roughly half way between Pelsall and Brownhills stations and originally known as Ryders Hayes this Norton Junction in South Staffordshire was by far the largest of the many that carry the name on the British rail network. It became so large because of enormous production of coal from the mines at Norton Canes and Cannock Chase. Wagons were brought down to the marshalling yard at the junction on National Coal Board lines, with coal board locomotives, to be marshalled into trains of the right length to make their journeys onward on the national rail network.